Pod Your Reef

Help With Temperature Issues Please!

Mr. Zero

I have an Eclipse 12 gallon tank with the stock 13 watt compact flourescent lighting in it. I have had my tank up and running for about 1 1/2 weeks. I live in Florida(no need for tank heater) and the thermostat is set at a constant 78 degrees in the house. The aquarium is located in a room that does not have direct sunlight and is maintained with the thermostat at 78. I started off with nutri seawater in the tank (78)at room temp and in the 1 1/2 weeks that I have had the tank, the temp has fluctuated between 79-85 and has never stayed at its original temp. What might be causing this fluctuation? I can live with fluctuations in temperature, obviously we don't live in a perfect world, and these "reefs" would have fluctuations if they were out in mother nature, but my concern is that these fluctuations are on the upper end of the "safe" temperatures. Any tips, tricks or thoughts on controlling temp would greatly be appreciated. Thanks

are you running the lights? the pump/filter might be imparting some heat too. the water and the system are probably retaining the heat very well as well as storing the ambient light heat.

either open the lid to allow more evaporative cooling (leads to salinity issues though) or run a fan on the tank (e.g. simple deskfan, standfan, etc.).

btw, peek on the tank during the night. tanks often easily maintain 78~82F during the day when lights are on and ambient temps are higher. but when night comes the temps can drop (e.g. desert temps - day/night).

distantfire

Mount a small 80mm fan on the side of your tank. Put it on timer so that it come's on when your light's are on. The fan should blow cool air under your light's and across the top of your water surface. If the 80mm is to big then try a smaller fan until your tank's temp. stay's stable when the light's are on. Buying a small solar powerd fan is another option you might consider.

Archived