Pod Your Reef

good or bad starfish

FAHZ

maybe bad. Does he have sort of 2 short legs and 3 long ones? This is one type that has been blamed for being a coral grazer but there are only a few species that do I believe they are. Asterina species? Look on reefcentral a lot of people have posted there. I have a few in my tank that came in on LR and they have yet to take over or wander through my corals so I leave them be.

Originally posted by technoshaman

Does he have sort of 2 short legs and 3 long ones?

That's not exactly an identifying characteristic. They can have all sorts of leg combinations because of their reproductive habits. Their main means of reproduction in aquariums is binary fission. They basically just divide themselves in half and then grow back the other half. Then they do it all over again. That's one reason they can become a problem in tanks; their reproduction is exponential. There's really nothing you can do if it is a bad guy, but most likely it isn't. Don't be worried.

-Will

Thanks guys. Right now he has three long legs and three short legs. If he's bad I can take him out right now as he is staying on one rock. I guess I will search Asterinas and see what I come up with.

Fahz

It is neither good nor bad, I doubt it has any moral qualities at all.

Whether it will be benificial to your systme or not is a different question.

It does appear to be an Asterina, most of which graze on detritus and algas, but the picture is a bit far away to be sure. It doesn't appear to be as flat as most asterinids. Can you get a close up?

Archived