Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

lighting for a 10g mixed reef

newjerseynano

newjerseynano

im in the process of getting together supplies for a 10g mixed reef and cannot decide on lighting. i want to keep a wide range, with some sps possibly or a clam, but also lps and softies requiring only low light. the current 2x40 looks really good for 100, but the coralife 96 quad also looks good, but does not have the dual lighting and is only 89. what do you guys suggest for a wide range of corals and inverts? thanks

From your post and what you say you may want to keep, I would suggest getting halides or even better T-5's. Just to keep you from having to upgrade in the near future and lose money on a fairly new P.C. fixture. Just my suggestion. Good luck.

Chris

2x40 PC, or halides if you want, but do 150. But I dont think they make a 20" T5 fix do they. Id steer clear of a 96 quad, think a 2X40 is a better bet.

i have a 96 quad 50/50 on my 15gH 'mixed' reef and it seems to be doing pretty good. I just have one lower light sps though (Tan Seriatapora) I'm also going to be picking up a frogspawn in a few days that people have said do well under PCs. The rest of my corals are zoos, rics, leathers, and shrooms and they are all doing very nicely.

But if you want a clam, I'd get something beefier.

evil_monkey

what sps's could you keep with the 2x40 PC? I know of some lps's, but didn't think that light would have enough "umph" for the sps's. I wish it was though, I really would like an acro.

newjerseynano

yea but 80-100 watts will give you 8-10 wpg of flour. light. isn't this enough for some low light sps and possibly a clam. im not really going hard for serious sps, mostly lps and softs

yea but 80-100 watts will give you 8-10 wpg of flour. light. isn't this enough for some low light sps and possibly a clam. im not really going hard for serious sps, mostly lps and softs
toss the watts-per-gallon rule. it's antiquated and actually based upon Normal Output fluorescents and not easily "translated" to current popular lighting technology, i.e. VHO and HO technology. plus the fact that it was inadequate to begin with imho.

i'd also suggest the mh. the aesthetics of the light itself, as a point-source of light rather than a tube (softer-area light) will be worth it alone imo.

the options it gives you by having the greater intensity (i.e. clams and sps) while still allowing for softies complete the arguement imo. if the light's too intense you can shade the softies or raise the light or eggcrate shade the whole tank depending on the situation.

if your PC/VHO light isn't intense enough chances are you're not going to be able to magnify it enough (e.g. closer to the water surface).

get the mh, you'll never regret it. don't get me wrong, you might not regret the PC or VHO either (it's not mandatory for clams/sps to use mh, e.g. brooklynjohnny's old tank) but you might and you'll be out x-amount of dollars then. hth

Archived