Cultivated Reef

nanogirl314 - My Aquapod 12 =)

nanogirl314

nanogirl314

Unfortunately, my margarita snail seems to be sick/dying. :( I found it on it's back on the sand and I put it on a rock but it's just been sitting there the past couple of days hanging out of the shell all weird like. It doesn't seem to be dead yet because it still moves when I touch it but it's just kind of lying in the shell all limp and weird. I've had the cleanup crew for a bit over a week now and the margarita seemed like one of the most active to begin with, but now this. I checked my water and as far as I can tell parameters are fine...the other snails and hermits aren't showing any signs of a problem so should I assume maybe the one snail was just sick to begin with?

Do I just let it sit in the tank and die? or should I take it out so it doesn't "decay" into the system? Thanks for any advice.

-NanoGirl314

Cuba Libre

I would leave it for now, and just check on it daily. You never know if its dying or just be temporarily lazy.

nanogirl314
I would leave it for now, and just check on it daily. You never know if its dying or just be temporarily lazy.

Ahhh! The snail is definately dead and now it looks like my shrimp is dead too! :( Water parameters:

Salinity - 1.024

pH - 8.2

Ammonia - 0.25

Nitrite - 0.0

Nitrate - 0.0

Tank Temp: 76-77

Advice please?!

-NanoGirl314

NanoGirl, it looks to me that your water temp is too low, try to shoot for 78-80. Also, Ammonia shouldn't be detectable it should always be at 0, so I would suggest a good sized water change (maybe 3 gallons).

Tank looks great BTW :)

nanogirl314
NanoGirl, it looks to me that your water temp is too low, try to shoot for 78-80. Also, Ammonia shouldn't be detectable it should always be at 0, so I would suggest a good sized water change (maybe 3 gallons).

Tank looks great BTW :)

I'll turn the heater up a bit. You think the shrimp and snail died because the temp was too cold? The ammonia had been 0 a couple days ago but I fed the shrimp and hermits a bit of squid so I assume thats why ammonia went up to 0.25. Would such a small ammonia spike really affect the shrimp so severally? Thanks for your help. :)

-NanoGirl314

It might stress them, but I think it was the coldness that took the shrimp.

As far as snails go, don't get attached. There don't have a high life expectancy in reef tanks. Some will live for a long time, while others will die in days. I guess stress of shipping, and the acclimation process is just too much for some of them.

nanogirl314
It might stress them, but I think it was the coldness that took the shrimp.

As far as snails go, don't get attached. There don't have a high life expectancy in reef tanks. Some will live for a long time, while others will die in days. I guess stress of shipping, and the acclimation process is just too much for some of them.

Ok, thanks.

-NanoGirl314

I've been doing research about nano reefs for about six months and now I've finally started up my Aquapod 12! I've gleaned so much information from this site and I wanted to share with all of you my beautiful new tank.

About the tank:

The tank is just three days old. I'm using RO water from WalMart with Reef Crystals salt. pH is about 1.023-1.024 according to my hydrometer. I just bought a refractometer via ebay so that should get here soon for a more accurate reading.

The tank has 12 lbs nano live rock from Premium Aquatics, 3 lbs live rock rubble from PA in the back chambers , 3 lbs florida live sand from PA, and 10 lbs of Nature's Ocean BioActive Aragonite sand.

I'm using a 50 watt Ebo-Jager heater. I added a second fan and wired the fans to a variable adapter so I could adjust the speed. I also popped the plastic strips out from the fan vents and the temp is holding at a steady 78 degrees.

I ditched the sponges, bio-balls, and ceramics rings. I cut open the bags that the rings were in and put the rock rubble in the bags. The bags keep the rubble nice and neat and I've found that it allows for better water flow through the chambers. If there happens to be anything wrong with putting live rock in media bags, someone please let me know!

:)

Now for the pics! My camera is not the greatest but I think it shows the cool rock shapes pretty well. The rock looks pretty pale in the pictures; it has more color (nice greens and some purple) in real life.

post-17887-1144544202_thumb.jpg

post-17887-1144544329_thumb.jpg

post-17887-1144544352_thumb.jpg

So there it is! Comments, suggestions, all are welcome. :D

-NanoGirl314

• 3 weeks later...
nanogirl314

Hi all,

Thought I'd post some updates on my tank. I decided to turn chamber 2 into a fuge. I did the popular tank mod where you peel away the black backing from the glass to allow for a light to illimunate chamber 2 from the rear. I also took an idea from a couple other members on here and built an enclosure for the fuge light using a PVC access box.

The bulb is a 10 watt 6700K from the pet section at Walmart. I took out the bulb socket and cord from an old lamp, cut the reflector from the hood of my old aquapod (the defective one they let me keep) and wired up two fans to keep it cool.

Here's a couple pics of the case for the fuge light ...I think it turned out very well, nice and neat.

post-17887-1149302918_thumb.jpg post-17887-1149302936_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately I'm having some cyano problems. My water parameters are good as far as I can see.

pH: 8.3

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 0

Salinity: 1.024

Temp: 78-80 degrees F

I'm hoping the fuge will help and I just started running some purigen. I also just ordered a maxi-jet 900, and calcium, phosphate, and alkalinity test kits from Marine Depot. Hopefully I can get rid of the cyano soon, it's such an eyesore.

-NanoGirl314

• 2 weeks later...
nanogirl314

Hey All,

Everyone say hello to my newest tank inhabitant...Nemo!!

post-17887-1150338844_thumb.jpg

Just kidding! :lol: His name is Einstein. Isn't he cute? :wub: I drip acclimated him and he seems to be doing very well, eating cyclopeeze like a pig on only the second day. Here's one more pic, sry it's a bit fuzzy.

post-17887-1150338853_thumb.jpg

Notice my tank is still rather bare...although the rocks have nice color. Tank is about two months old now and things seem to be very stable. I'm hoping to add a couple mushrooms and zoas soon. Most of the cyano I'd had on the sand and parts of the rocks is gone. Here's the current chamber setup:

Ch 1: 100 micron filter pad - changed @every 2 days, purigen, chemipure, live rock rubble

Ch 2: chaeto with fuge light mod on back

Ch 3: live rock rubble and temp probe

Ch 4: heater and pump

Tank parameters:

pH: 8.3

salinity: 1.024

temp: 78-80

Ammon: 0.25 (since I added the clownfish)

Nitrate: 0.0

Nitrite: 0.0

phosphate 0.0

alkalinity: 11 dKH

calcium: @380

My clacium is maybe a little low isn't it? I don't particular want to get into dosing if I can help it. Do you think the calcium level is ok or is it a concern? And is the alkalinity good? I think I've read on here that 7-12 dKH was good...is that right? Thanks all for your awesome help! :)

-NanoGirl314

I keep my tanks in a 420 cal. max 380 is fine coralline will grow with 350 and up in my tanks. I keep my alk. at 8 but ya 11 is fine it will problem come down a little once you get your cal. in the 400s. Your tank is almost at the stage mine is besides corals that I have in. But right now I only have a clown and six-line wrasse. Hows you coraline looking mine is already becoming frusterating because of the daily scraping I have to do so it keeps off the glass between the purple and the GPS I cant see my back wall anymore.

nanogirl314
I keep my tanks in a 420 cal. max 380 is fine coralline will grow with 350 and up in my tanks. I keep my alk. at 8 but ya 11 is fine it will problem come down a little once you get your cal. in the 400s. Your tank is almost at the stage mine is besides corals that I have in. But right now I only have a clown and six-line wrasse. Hows you coraline looking mine is already becoming frusterating because of the daily scraping I have to do so it keeps off the glass between the purple and the GPS I cant see my back wall anymore.

reffer9391,

My coraline is good and growing well on the rocks. I'm just starting to see some coraline coming up on the back wall which I hope won't become too extensive as I like the black background in the tank. I'm glad those parameters sound good. I can't wait to get my first coral! Do you have an aquapod/nano cube also? If so do you have stock lighting? and what you have for corals?

-NanoGirl314

Archived