Cultivated Reef

RICS!

Helfrichs Chick

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if you want Fla Ric you better get it soon. A bunch of people down in Keys just got arrested the week before Christmas for gatthering Rics. The Orange one s in Fla LFS have already started jumping prices with the news.

I don't think so...but it is illegal to collect in a lot of (read: MOST) areas, or if you're selling them without a permit, or if you're taking "ric rocks" with lots of substrate instead of individual rics with just a chip of rock. I'd like to hear the details on that story before jumping to conclusions, but I am very curious. There are a lot of ways to go wrong collecting in Florida because of all the laws surrounding it.

Was that the ricordeas.net crew being shut down? I thought that happened a few months ago.

Helfrichs Chick
I don't think so...but it is illegal to collect in a lot of (read: MOST) areas, or if you're selling them without a permit, or if you're taking "ric rocks" with lots of substrate instead of individual rics with just a chip of rock. I'd like to hear the details on that story before jumping to conclusions, but I am very curious. There are a lot of ways to go wrong collecting in Florida because of all the laws surrounding it.

Was that the ricordeas.net crew being shut down? I thought that happened a few months ago.

From all of the reading I have done it is actually the live rock, and even more so the coraline algae believe it or not. You can collect single loose ricordeas without too m,uch of a problem, you can collect rocirdeas on LR provided the live rock it is attached to is less than one inch in diameter. It is illegal to collect on some areas off of Florida completely. I went to FL fish and game site and couldnt find any definitive info but I am 90% sure its about the under 1 inch rule. Amazing that its illegal in most places off of Florida, to collect coraline algae. Crazy huh.

Oh and about ricordeas.net, I did an order from them before, they were really nice people, and from what I gathered the owner wanted to move back to TX to be with her family. I have heard some shiesty stuff about them but my experience was a good one and all the rics were nice and on under 1 inch of rock.

Well I took some pics of my rics, not a great picture and I am still figuring out my camera but here they are.

Well I can only get this one to upload here, but my galery has more, plus you can see my kick ass clowns!

http://www.nano-reef.com/gallery/showgalle...mp;ppuser=19268

post-19268-1167783326_thumb.jpg

Helfrichs Chick

Yea, but they required a minimun of 100 for an order. $1000 is pretty rough for 1 person to spend in ricordeas, lol. I can not wait... I am getting another order in Febuary. I think I am gonna get 15 or more for myself this time. YEAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Helfrichs Chick

Scarf_ace: I REALLY like those yellowish green ones, cant call them lime or yellow they are really cool. If you frag let me know I will trade you for a diffrent colored one. Maybe a hot pink or something

Helfrichs Chick

How are you guys getting these night shots. I tried last night (but that WAS after a bottle of wine) and they didnt come out at all. I do have the moonlights (which I think are useless, but helps the clowns not jump out) and with them on my whole bed of Rics GLOWS and looks bad ass, even all the Zoas are killer looking but camera doesnt like the lighting or something, pics just come out dark. Any suggestions... I am using a Canon powershot elph or something like that. Got it for Xmas so its still new to me.

Lol, sorry I misread :blush:

Usually for quick shots, I do automatic settings, but if I'm feeling adventurious, I put it in manual mode with a slow shutter speed or large f-stops. Edit: a tripod also really helps with those night shots!

Helfrichs Chick

Yea I will try a tripod, the pictures just come out dull in auto mode. I will play with it tonight, wait till you see the pics of mine at night, its amazing, and I hate moonlights lol.

Ok back to RICS!

How are you guys getting these night shots. I tried last night (but that WAS after a bottle of wine) and they didnt come out at all. I do have the moonlights (which I think are useless, but helps the clowns not jump out) and with them on my whole bed of Rics GLOWS and looks bad ass, even all the Zoas are killer looking but camera doesnt like the lighting or something, pics just come out dark. Any suggestions... I am using a Canon powershot elph or something like that. Got it for Xmas so its still new to me.

:lol: ...maybe it is the wine! Seriously though, I have a Canon A60. I go into manual mode and do a 2-4 second exposure at F2.8. Believe it or not, both of these shots were hand held with the camera pressed tightly on the glass. I have been known to use a tripod, but only for a far away night shot like this (same exposure)...

BTW, the lighting is DIY moonlights...and I love them B)! Keep trying and you will succeed!!!!!

13.jpg

I picked up a couple new yumas. Here's a tangerine and blue single.

NewTangerineandBlueYuma-January.jpg

Also bought a small yuma colony. Pictured here on the right.

NewYumas-January.jpg

Here's a shot of my rics and mushies together.

TopShelf-January.jpg

Helfrichs Chick
Helfrich’s Chick thanks. i'll trade you those for the one in your avatar. LOL

LMAO yea I'll get right on that. I really dont like clowns and think they are the dumbest looking fish, but kinda nice to say I have ORA picassos. They are growing on me.

Junk, those are fantastic. I am kinda wishing I bought rocks with multiple rics on them. I think when I get this order of 18 in Feb I am gonna glue them to one rock. Just looks cool I think.

Archived