Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

How do you do it?

sambo123

with a 1.75" hole saw and a drill press

if you don't have a drill press, you can use a handheld drill, but the hole might not be totally normal to the surface since you will have to hold the drill perpendicular to the acrylic yourself.

check home depot or link for hole saws

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

worse case, drill a hole large enough to insert a dremel sanding drum and go from there. messy, but it will take no time.

hole saw would be best though :)

neanderthalman

A hole saw, but unlike glass, you want to drill at a low RPM so that the acrylic doesn't gall in the blade. Higher RPMs will also result in chipped acrylic or cracking when you punch through to the other side.

A hole saw, but unlike glass, you want to drill at a low RPM so that the acrylic doesn't gall in the blade. Higher RPMs will also result in chipped acrylic or cracking when you punch through to the other side.

In my experience acrylic is easy to drill with a standard hole-saw from any hardware store. The one thing I noticed about drilling into acrylic is that you do not want to stop drilling until the hole is complete and to drill at low RPM like Neanderthalman recommended. Acrylic melts slightly as you drill the hole and your hole-saw can freeze up in the hole if you stop drilling and you risk cracking the acrylic trying to get the hole saw freed up. I also like to put masking tape around the area you are drilling to protect from scratching.

thinks Im not sure how thick but its a lee,s large specimen container Got it at Live Aquaria.com

If it’s clear cast plastic you may end up cracking it if too much pressure is applied.

The cast plastic products seems harder & more brittle to me than acrylic, not to mention pretty thin. You need a sharp bit and take it slow on the drilling.

Archived