Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Tunze Stream replacement? - Vortech by Ecotech

Reefer Addict

And eventually they'll make a wireless wave controller, and a 24 hr battery backup. Seems better than Tunze, to me. Good stuff.

i think that they're great and that they'll make it a tough marketplace for tunze pumps. either way, i'm happy with my 6100 and i'll likely buy one of these when they get all the kinks worked out.

Reefer Addict

Received my Vortech propeller pump yesterday. The thing is pretty darn cool. Only time will tell on its durability.

I wouldn't recommend it to the price conscious. The cost of the pump is pretty darn spendy... B)

wow, that's awesome! perfect!, except for the many pennies needed to buy it. One day perhaps. It's amaxing how good we can become in justifying purchases for these reefs!

RA- do you happen to have a tunze that you could compare the vortech to? if not, no biggie...just curious. :) what tank are you using the pump on? i'm gonna need another high flow powerhead-style pump for the 90g and need to find one that can do well...i'm thinking another tunze but...the vortech pumps are just so damn new and cool!

btw, i envy you for having the pump.

Reefer Addict

yoshi-The Vortech is comparible to the Tunze 6100 (up to 3,000 gal/hr). If you do the math (appples to apples comparison), the Vortech is actually a bit cheaper than the Tunze 6100.

It is currently being used in my 'ganja' tank. Yes it is overkill but I wanted a pump where I could easily move and mount. Yes the Tunze has a magnet option available. I don't think the Tunze with their option magnet mount is as low profile as the Vortech.

I have not gone full throttle with the pump yet. The manufacturers recommend a 24-48 hour break in (run the pump at its lowest output) period.

I have to say it is pretty cool. I can't wait for the wave controller to come out. I will probably pick up one more pump when the wave controller is available...

did they give you any idea of how expensive the controller will be when you purchased the pump (or where you left in the dark like the rest of us?)? how are you controlling the flow output right now?

with the magnet mount for the tunze, it manages to almost hide itself in my tank...kinda...

36" tank with tunze 6100

tankwithtunze.jpg

ProFlatlander15

Props to you RA spending that much on it...Maybe it will be like a video game system and become cheaper the longer it's been out...

i doubt they'll get cheaper... i bought my tunze 10 months used and spent $350. if the vortechs are anything similar to the streams, in regards to resale value, they'll hold their price fairly well.

Reefer Addict
did they give you any idea of how expensive the controller will be when you purchased the pump (or where you left in the dark like the rest of us?)? how are you controlling the flow output right now?

with the magnet mount for the tunze, it manages to almost hide itself in my tank...kinda...

36" tank with tunze 6100

tankwithtunze.jpg

I have no idea on when the wave controller will be released. The pump itself was delayed a bit for I believe the original ship date for the pump was February. I have not read or heard any eta on when the wave controller will be available.

The pump out put is controlled from the outside of the tank via a 'nob thingy' (I'll take a picture of it later and post).

Reefer Addict

Better late than never...

I was only able to take a picture of the part that resides outside of the tank due to my MH's do not come on until later today. I'll take a picture of the 'in tank' piece later. What's also nice about this pump is the feature that it turns off if the front unit falls off of the glass. You don't need to worry about blowing the subtrate or having the pump blow directly on to expensive corals if the pump moves for whatever reason.

The speed controller and power supply.

VortechSpeedController.jpg

The unit that resides outside the tank.

VortechOutside.jpg

i heard they have overheating problems, and it will shut down if overheated. some guys who saw the prototypes at MACNA relayed this. they've supposedly fixed the problem, but if it shuts down regularly (before it shut down a locked up, apparently), that might be detrimental.

keep us updated!

Reefer Addict
i heard they have overheating problems, and it will shut down if overheated. some guys who saw the prototypes at MACNA relayed this. they've supposedly fixed the problem, but if it shuts down regularly (before it shut down a locked up, apparently), that might be detrimental.

keep us updated!

Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully the problem has been fixed. I actually feel it everyday to get a gauge on how hot/warm the outside unit gets. It does not even feel very 'warm'.... Let's see how it does over time.

Archived