inTank Media Baskets

Clowns and Dragonets

BckPckr

A.) Will clowns host is Hiati Anenomes?

B.) I have a 35g Hexagoanl tank with 50lbs of live rock, LOTS of copepods covering the glass. Will a mandarin dragonet be ok in there?

One Eyed Bunny

1. Depends. Some tank-bred clownfish won't host at all while others will. Captured clownfish may but you'd be best referencing the anenome with the clownfish. If you can provide a genus and species type of the anenome and the clownfish you're interested I can help you out.

2. I've seen very few people keep a Mandarin goby in anything less than a 55 gal. although it may be possible. I would have to say no.

The anenome is Condylactis gigantea (the florida condi, or haitian anenome)

And I would probably get Amphiprion percula (Percula Clown), Amphiprion frenatus (tomato clown) or Amphiprion ocellaris (Ocellaris Clown).

One Eyed Bunny

After a quick look through some books and papers, as well as a Google I found:

Condylactis gigantea is not a normal host for any clownfish, however, in captivity some clownfish such as percula clownfish (Amphiprion percula), tomato clownfish (Amphiprion frenatus) or ocellaris clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris) will host in it regardless.

My only bit of advice beyond that is have the anenome in the tank prior to adding the clownfish and to double-check with your LFS that your clownfish was live-capture and not tank-bred. Tank-bred clownfish have a reduced frequency of hosting an anenome.

Hope this helps you some.

Personally I would also, but it is a tank I set up at school, with limited founding that wasn't my own. So I'm stuck with a 20w flore. I personally don't feel safe with an anenome in this tank, it's too unstable and only about 5 weeks old. But my teacher won't take no for an answer and can't wait (summer is approaching) and the lfs said it should do fine. I have been been growing a purple shroom under this light, but its about 3" underneith it and right in the outflow from our filter.

Archived