Cultivated Reef

10 footer coral wish list

dearis

G'day there,

as I have previosly posted I am in the planning of a 10 footer, 10 x 2.5 or 3 x 2.5. AquaC EV-2000 Spray Injection Protein Skimmer

5 10k 250w or 400w undecided on this its based on the coral needs.

plus the moontracker system 10 lights http://www.thelebos.com/

have not started on water movement yet but I do like the Ocean motions 8way system http://www.oceansmotions.com/

Sump and refuge i was thinking a 10footer split in half i think i can use one of these as a remote DSB

Here is what I like in regards to corals, clams and anenome for Maroon Clowns

BTA Entacmaea quadricolor

Disc coral Fungia repanda

Green tongue coral Herpolitha limax

Talpina tongue coral Polyphyllia talpina

Long tentacle plate coral Heliofungia actiniformis

Long tentacle plate coral green variant Heliofungia actiniformis

Tooth brain, two tone Lobophyllia hemprichii

Tooth brain red Lobophyllia hemprichii

Red striped brain Acanthastrea lordhowensis

Open brain Trachyphyllia gaoffroyi

Maize brain Platygra daedalea

Golf ball brain Montastrea sp

Brain favites green craters Favites paraflexuosa

Zoanthids Palythoa sp

Coralimorphs Discosoma sp.

Turbinaria sp.

Candy cane Caulastrea furcata

Sun coral Tubastraea

Golf ball Goniopora sp.

Flower pot coral Alveopora gigas

Elegance coral Catalaphyllia jardinei

Torch coral Euphyllia glabrescens

Hammer coral Euphyllia ancora

Frogspawn coral Euphyllia divisa

Bubble coral Plerogyra sinuosa

Toadstool Sarcophyton sp.

Devils hand Lobophyton sp.

Colt coral Cladiella australis

Soft digitate leather Sinularia sp

Montipora sp

Acropora sp.

Pocillopora sp.

Pulsating xenia Xenia sp

Pete's xenia Xenia sp

Clams Tridacna sp.

Perhaps some of these wont be possible and will conflict with each other, am waiting to go to the city te get my coral book.

would love some input good and bad :) and to those who have been helping me I greatly appreciate it :)

Regards Darren

Fish wish list i have posted before.

Sounds familar, I'm looking for suggestions on a 12' but only 20x20 to keep it very easy to access... I'm planning on 4 or 5 DIY luminarcs with 250w 14K bulbs so I don't need actinics. If you're thinking 30" depth you probably want to go 400W for the clams and acro's. My intentions are to do as much as possible DIY including the tank so I'm cutting every corner I can. :) The OM would be a great way to move the water, I've got one on my 40 gallon, are you planning on drilling for the CL? For the sump and refugium, save the money and just get some used AGA tanks. I'm planning on a 55G refugium w/ a 75 gallon sump. I'm not sure about the AquaC skimmers, they seem a little over priced and under powered... I had a remora-pro rated at 75G and up, I put it on a 75, it worked fine. Just for kicks I put a EuroReef rated at 75 gallons and it skimmed so well that the Remora dried up. I couldn't get a drop of skimmate from it even at the most wet setting, all the while the ER was skimming a cup a day. Just something to consider... Hope this helps or at least triggers some more questions... for myself included. :) BTW what are your plans for Calcium? I was planning on using the DIY 3 part recipe with a dosing pump. Why spend 500-600 on a Ca reactor when you can make the 3-part (Ca, Alk, Mg) for pennies a gallon...

with regard to the skimmer i had/have narowed the field to the following

DB ReefTech foam jet protein skimmer

AquaJet range of protein skimmers

My Reef Creations protein skimmers

AquaC EV-2000 Spray Injection Protein Skimmer

have you seen the oceans motion on a large tank?

Regards Darren

hope you post your progress.....

Is there a reason you're not considering needlewheel venturi skimmers (ASM, ER, Deltec, even Bubbleking)?

I haven't seen a OM on a Large tank in person, but if the 4-way or 8-way works as good as the Squirt it will be fine. I'm leaning away from a CL only because I don't want to drill multiple holes in a 12' panel of glass... I'm planning on rigging up a DIY Tunze style setup.

I'll be posting as soon as construction begins, right now I'm still finishing the basement. Framing is almost complete and hope to begin plumbing and electrical this weekend.

FYI--- If you want to see some OM on large setups-- go to Oceansmotion.com...

and checkout their forums... pics of some killer setups.

Izzue

Thanks for tip,

yet another forum, will drilling holes weaken a tank of 10ft?

Regards Darren

Archived