SaltCritters.com

When Disaster Strikes!

ChristianBak

ChristianBak

I just came back from Spring Break and my light timer had broken and left the light on for an entire week. Needless to say, i have massive algae outbreak and i am trying to 1) contain it, and 2) come up with a long term plan for getting rid of the above said algae. Its green algae and has totally covered both the rocks and glass. ANY information/help is greatly appreciated.

Obsessed Reefer

Cleaning Crew? MEGA FILTER FLOSS OR SPONGS!! Just scrap it off and turn on the pumps and hit the nitro buttion on it!!

ChristianBak

yea i was thinking about busting out my tooth-brush and then suck it up after scraping. I was also considering turning the lights off earlier for a while in order to discourage any more algae growth. It literally looks like a lawn has grown straight across my rock-work... fun stuff huh. What kind of Shrimp may be the best algae eater??

neanderthalman

Timers never fail when you're around to notice it. Shrimp aren't all that great for algae - they tend to prefer meaty foods. Snails are your best friend when it comes to mowing through algae.

Haha-I had the opposite problem-timer broke and no lights for all spring break, but things seem fine. My red leg hermits dont seem to do much- Snails and Good Luck.

One Eyed Bunny

I've heard that some people have covered their tank with a blanket and let it sit with no light for 3 days. Their corals were very minimally stressed and the algae was struck a mighty blow.

Possibly this could work for you as a way of softening the algae's hold on your tank?

Archived