Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Are we reefers overdone our setup sometime?

Cyber

Hello Everyone,

I just like to share some thing I observed at a LFS. They have a 20H tank with 4 BIG clams, 2 perc clowns, 1 blue tang, a few corals and about 20pounds of LR. Ok, this is the wierd part: they have only 1 Fulval 404 canister filter and a Jali 2x36W PC (and a heater of course). No skimmer, no power head, no sump, .... nothing else. The tank is awesome. The water movement is generated by the Fulval return. They change water every 2weeks. Their tank is there as long as I can remember. I wonder sometimes reefers try too hard to keep the water stable by adding ton of fancy equipment but they may forgot about looking for a different approach which costs lesser. May be the best way is not the expensive way but more like understanding how it works. ;) I think I will spend more time asking the owner about his experience.

Just a thought...just a thought...

Cyber

Hello,

Blue tang is about 1.5". Perc clowns are also 1.5". Clams are huge. One of them is like 4-5" long. Smallest one is 3". Mushrooms and polyps are everywhere. I wish I can take a picture and post them up here.

Cyber

thing is those clams are helping filter the (mature) system a LOT. that's probably how they're getting away with 'it'. frankly, they could probably go without wc's as often too.

simple is better imo tho.

Are those clams required to have lot of light? 72W for 20gal seems to be a little under for clams. Can someone with Maxima clams verify this?

Cyber

Is this that tank in goldfish world? (or something like that)

That tank has been there a long time but not those clams. If I remember correctly those were crocea's. They need MUCH more light then that. I know that guy swears buy it, but have you taken a look at the "coral" tanks? Man they practically kill everything they get. For what ever reason he thinks everything can live under actinic lighting only. They are good at FW Ill give them that, but I think they just jumped onto the SW bandwagon because of the neighborhood and the other SW stores.

Yes I aim for simplicity but I wouldnt take much advice from him on reef tanks.

JMO

Hey DeskJockey, That's the one. Goldfish World on Convoy Street, San Diego, CA. You live around there too? So they just added the Maxima clams there? (or replacement). I'll check the clams every 2 days and see how they do.

Cyber

Bet you thought you wouldnt get a reply from someone who actually new what tank you were talking about did ya! =)

No I live in chula but as you know the only SW stores are in Kearny Mesa. So I stop by a couple every Friday and Monday on my way home

Hehe. I am just trying to understand how they do it. All replies are welcome. I am not trying to impress people or showing off =). Anyway, many SW stores are in that area. Tropical Fish, Aquatic Warehouse are within 2miles. There's also a big one in University Ave, 3 blocks from 70th street if you dont know about that. I got most of my stuff from Tropical Fish and Aquatic Warehouse. They know their stuff and they dont try to sell you craps. Good to know some reefers in San Diego.

Cyber

quiksilver5768

My question is that, you have to introduce clams at first to very stable condtitions in order to get them settled but yet they filter your water very well....so if your clams are present in your reef for a loonnngg time, is it possible that you would start to overskim and what not because of the clams filtering the water for you? At this point, would you start to slowly stop using your skimmer and making less water changes, or do you still have to keep it up in order to keep the water conditions stable? hmmm....

hmmmmmm it depends on who you deal with over at aquatic. But Ive seen people walk out with all kinds of stuff they dont need, but yeah they are one of the best in town. I dont really go over to tropical much. They are VERY expensive sometimes. Example I just got a Whiteray goby over at aquatic for $35 they wanted $50! Do you ever go to Ron's (octopuss garden)? I would have to say he is the easiest to deal with and he helped me start up my tank way back when. It gets VERY crowded friday nights.

Cyber just pm me since we have hijacked this thread! hehehe

quick-

Like you said good stable water conditions and good lighting. Ive been talking to some people and they feel the new trend with running a fug can be harmful in ways. Because you can successfully remove all (or close to all) nitrates from the water and they need nitrates to live. Yet Ive seen some beautiful tanks with close to a dozen clams and zero nitrates. And these tanks have been up for a couple years. Plus there is a lot of evidence that says they rely more on lighting after a certain age then plankton

Originally posted by DeskJockey

Plus there is a lot of evidence that says they rely more on lighting after a certain age then plankton

This is true... after about 3.5" most clams require less feeding and more lighting.

A guy from my MAAST group(who sells clams) had a very small maxima clam that was living hidden under rock getting no light. When he found it he was amazed that it was living. It had to be hidden for several months before it was found. Tough little buggers. :D

here in the NW theres a LFS run by a crusty ol'timer(first saltwater store in portland) thats run out of his garage. first time i went there i was shocked to se most of his tanks lit with just NO bulbs and he was running undergravel filters. now the clams he gets in are put under a MH and i found out all the tanks are filtered through a huge refugium of sorts in the back room. but my point is that i think alot of stores skimp on there lighting to keep the costs down as the corals or inverts usually aren't there for a period of time. even the more high tech stores seem sometimes underlit but then if you ever look closely at there display tank you'll notice most are built to the hilt. the livestock i saw at this garage shop was very nice indeed and he's fun to buy from as theres usually no prices marked ya just gotta name a price. say"bob i'll give ya 15.00 for the mushroom rock" he might say 18.50 and i'll throw in 5 snails or something to that effect.

and then theres the ol' GARF issue, i don't believe that the really aquacultre SPS frags under NO lighting. as i have put SPS frags in a small tank with minimal lighting and they survived but didn't grow much.

I have been to the "garage" you are talking about in Portland. It is right off Powell in SE right? That guy seemed pretty crazy to me. I just went in to check it out and have never gone back, not because I didn't like it, but because I am fairly loyal to Upscales in Tualitan. I assume you have been there. I got there for all corals and clams. I go to Cayes on 122nd and Division for my fish.

Sorry to turn this thread into yet another "I live in your city too, have you been to this store," thread.

I've been to both Upscales and Souta's Saltwater (the garage). And I would say that Souta's offers the widest selection of healthy corals of any Portland-area store that I've been to. It's a small shop but packed with alot of high-quality livestock.

The guy that runs the shop is a little crazy. But, I'll let his display tank speak for itself.

Take a gander:

http://www.soutassaltwater.com/Display.htm

Enjoy ;)

Archived