Coral Vue Hydros

Anything eat fish poop?

masterbuilder

masterbuilder

Does anything actually eat fish poop? I have one fish in my tank (tailspot) and he leaves little fish turds all over my sand. Looks bad. I did a search and really didn’t see anything. So... is there any reef safe creature that actually will eat this stuff?

Thank,

Mark

p.s. I love my tailspot, but he is one pooping machine! I don’t over feed, only 3 times a week. Glad I have him, for as much as algae as he processes, I would surely have an algae problem.

crypticghost
Does anything actually eat fish poop? I have one fish in my tank (tailspot) and he leaves little fish turds all over my sand. Looks bad. I did a search and really didn’t see anything. So... is there any reef safe creature that actually will eat this stuff?

Thank,

Mark

Snails and hermit crabs will, also corals, eat parts that are broken down and are in the water colum

p.s. I love my tailspot, but he is one pooping machine! I don’t over feed, only 3 times a week. Glad I have him, for as much as algae as he processes, I would surely have an algae problem.

Fishfreak218

ya my bicolor blenny used to poop a TON! lol.l.. anyway yes there is.. they are called Dentirvours [sp] .... im pretty sure Nassarius snails are dentrivours but im not positive

masterbuilder

I have 4 Nassarius snails and they dont like it anymore than I would :huh:

1 Tailspot Blenny

4 Nassarius Snails

4 Asterea Snails

2 Nerite Snails

2 Cearth Snails

3 Tiny Blue Leg Hermits

1 Tiny Red Leg Hermit

1 Scarlet Hermit

None of which like Mr. Blenny's poop.

Just buy a can of Vapoorise. :D

Seriously, nassarius snails do a good job for me.

Ha.. I love that movie!

I'm not sure about the fish poop thing.

Is it weird I've never seen fish poop in the 2 years I've been in this hobby? Maybe my crew cleans it up before I see it.

masterbuilder
Is it weird I've never seen fish poop in the 2 years I've been in this hobby? Maybe my crew cleans it up before I see it.

Wow... yesterday my wife and I started a game...."how long before the blenny poops".

So far the longest we have had to watch is 14 minutes! Like a said...ONE POOPING MACHINE.

Still looking for the poopie eater. Maybe a cucumber? The hunt is still on.

Mark

Sparkling_Surfer

My serpent star and porcelain crab fight over my midas blenny's poop. And my midas blenny eats bubble coral poop every night. It's a self-sufficient tank! I don't know why I even bother to feed :lol:

ok people I just had dinner...

My yellow tang eats his own poop as well as the poops of all the other fish (damsel, firefish, bi colour blenny, 6 line wrasse)

My blood red shrimp lives for fish poop. He comes out when it is still hanging on the fish (that wonderful smell) and waits for it to drop. He then rushes over to collect his prize. I feed him shrimp and formula one daily. He just can't resist snacking!

IME angels love poop - I have a white-tailed pygmy (Centropyge flavicauda) who vaccums up crab, snail and fish poop like he's at a buffet, and a flame that goes after anything left by the flagfin or clowns with gusto. Tangs are also known poop-eaters; seems to me it's often algae-eating fish that like to snack on the not-so-savoury leavings of others.

Shrimp and hermits will also probably take care of it, and nassarius snails will stir it into the sand for the worms and teeny critters to find.

Other than that, you could get a piece of rigid tubing to use as a dip-tube - put your finger over the end, put the tube into the tank over the poop, release your finger and it'll suck up the poo. Put your finger back over the end of the tube, remove tube from tank and presto!

masterbuilder

I guess it’s up to me to cleanup after my little “Mater of Intestinal Fortitude”. If I didn’t like him so much, I would buy him a one way ticket to my LFS . However, got a few worms and mini-stars heading my way to help out. I hope they do some of the job for me. Thanks for the help (I like the thumb and tube suggestion).

Thanks again Reefers,

Mark

kinda off topic but in the wild when hippos poop in the river hundreds of fish rush up to the hippo and fight each other for the poop LOL. Its quite a sight. Something I saw on animal planet a few years ago that scarred me and this thread remindede me of it

• 15 years later...

this gem of a thread must have settled to the bottom of the forum. thanks for stirring up - made for a good read.

what needs to be cleaned? did you buy already? what did you buy?