Cultivated Reef

Anemone ID and Reproduction Question

tbeck

Two things. Could someone ID this hitchhiker Anemone. Also, he, she, it just split yesterday into 2 dime sized pieces. One moved about 6 inches away. Am wondering why it split. Stress, nature, or ? Does this indicate anything about conditions in the tank?

Will 2 Anemones cause any problems?

Tank is an 11 gallon Via Aqua with LR and Argonite that has been up and running for 23 days. Tank conditions have been very stable, PH 8.3, 0 Nitrites / Nitrate, 0 Ammonia, SG 1.024, Temp 78.

Thanks in advance for your help

Anemonia majano. They are usually considered a pest and will spread pretty fast if they get food. I am trying to eradicate them in my 46 gallon by kalkin them when I see em. They are really hard to pry off rocks. I would get rid of them now before they spread. They do not seem as prolific as aiptasia and are kind of pretty but the ones I have now are popping up near my zoos and stinging them.

if they filter I doubt it. The ones in my tank will grab small particles of food if it happens to drift by or if I stir up the bottom/rockwork when cleaning the tank. All I know is they are a royal pain comapred to aiptasia. My peppermints obliterate aiptasia but aside from totally non reef safe - eat any kind of polyp fish you need to kill them or manually remove them.

When I first noticed it a few weeks ago it moved around on the rocks abit, but then settled down and hasn't moved until it split. Havn't put anything else in the tank as I am not sure if it will cycle. Have added a green crab and red leg. Will the anemone harm them?

Doubt it. Most crustacea don't seem too bothered by anemones in general. It's more of an issue stinging corals and small fish. The largest one in my tank is about 2" across fully extended and about 3" high. He's at the back of my rockwork in a crevice I can't get to. I was actually trying to pry him off and throw him in my bad guy tank with all my crabs or in my mantis tank.

Thanks for your insights. Obviously I'm new at this and am exicited about the new stuff that I am seeing everyday. Have some apprehension about disposing of them just because, at this point as they're some of the most interesting things in the tank. I think I will have to dispose of the newest one now and take action on the original one before I add some more stuff to the tank

Archived