inTank Media Baskets

Just got a 24g Aquapod

taylorb

This is my first post. And also this will be my first SW tank.

I just received my 24g Aquapod from DFS. I was very impressed with the packaging. They put the Aquapod box in box just a bit bigger. Then they put that box inside a bigger one that had foam padding around the outside. So I had to open 3 boxes to finally get to my aquarium. Everything surived the trip without a problem anded worked fine. I would highly recommend the aquapod and DFS. I got the Aquapod for $199 and $12 for shipping.

Some advice.

replace the stock pump, it will overheat your unit.

Switch the actinic and white lights, so the fan comes on earlier with the actinic so you don't over heat your unit.

Do not buy a fission nano skimmer, just do weekly water changes.

Don't put chemipure or any other bag in the 2nd sump chamber as it will eventually get sucked into the pump.

Yeah I planned on switching the lights around. I also have an extra fan laying around I plan on puttin in there, it moves a lot of air. What size of pump would you recommend using? I thought about getting a hydor flo, is that a good idea?

Taylor

Yeah I planned on switching the lights around. I also have an extra fan laying around I plan on puttin in there, it moves a lot of air. What size of pump would you recommend using? I thought about getting a hydor flo, is that a good idea?

Taylor

I am in the process of setting up a 24AP after the hood on my 12Ap broke, did a warranty exchange. I figured may as well go bigger since the 12 was only 2mos. old and figured the hinge setup was doomed to fail again.

I was running a Rio 800 in the 12. Think it will turn enough water in the 24?

I have not taken the hood apart yet. The 12 had a 2nd fan plug ready to go.

Will i have to get a 110v to 12v adapter if i add a 2nd fan?? I am sure it will need a 2nd fan.

Thanks

I got some pics of my tank

Here it is with just sand

IMG_0320.jpg

Here it is with 6.5 pounds of LR I got from the LFS. And a Blue leg crab that was a hitch hiker

IMG_0326.jpg

I plan on getting more LR tomorrow.

Taylor

I got 15.25 lbs more of rock, so the total is 21.25 lbs. Here is a updated pic. Tell me what you think.

Taylor

IMG_0341.jpg

All the rock is from the LFS. It is the only one within 80 miles. All the rock I got came out of their display tanks, so it is fully cured. I had a small ammonia spike couple days after it started, but only lasted one day.

SG=1.023

Ammonia=0

Nitrite=0

Nitrate=5

I had the LFS double check. I picked up 3 blue legs and 1 Astra and 1 Trochus snails, but they were labled as red banned turbo snails today. If they do good, I plan on getting some more in a couple weeks.

Taylor

Glad I never got an AQUAPOD:) CHEAP RIP-OFF IN MY MIND, LOOK AT THE PACKAGAING ALONE! Plain brown box, how cheap is that?????

This is my first post. And also this will be my first SW tank.

I just received my 24g Aquapod from DFS. I was very impressed with the packaging. They put the Aquapod box in box just a bit bigger. Then they put that box inside a bigger one that had foam padding around the outside. So I had to open 3 boxes to finally get to my aquarium. Everything surived the trip without a problem anded worked fine. I would highly recommend the aquapod and DFS. I got the Aquapod for $199 and $12 for shipping.

yea tkudlik, i dont no wat ur talking about. the tank comes in the box that was posted above and is placed in other boxes while its shipped. dont say anything about something u no nothing about.

ReefApprentice

Hey tkudlik, better quiet down, the mods are in town and banning people left and right. Shhhh....

Looks shay like a knock-off to me:) I've seen people with pics on here getting those tanks in brown cardboard boxes.......not kidding.....look and search around:)

I don't know what box you saw, must have been the box it is shipped in. Here is the box it comes in.

box.jpg

tkudlik: didn't like the box?

cmon.

I'm not going to perpetuate some flaming but jesus...the box?

I have one. I modded it a bit, but I think it's great for what it is.

I sure as hell wasn't upset at the box.

Nanocube owners were all ######ing about cracks, etc. Some pod owners too.

They added another shipping layer.

Utilitarian versus cosmetic. Utilitarian wins every time.

I'd rather hear some good music in a decent club than put up with some MTV #######s at a great looking place.

The box?

Very nice tank and off to a great start. Nice looking rock. Go slow though. I have the 12 gallon pod and CURRENT has admited to switch out the pump for a maxi jet. I swapped mine out for a 900 with a hydor attachment. Awesome. It dropped my temp 3 degree's removing the current version pump. Seeing how your tank is a 24 go with a Maxi Jet 1200 and a Hydor attachment! A 1200 moved my tank way to much....A 900 is perfect..

As for the negative coments.... Here is a shot of my 3 month old pod. I don't see any issues with anything with my tank????

AquapodShot.jpg

If I would do it again, I would. Current does one thing right, thier lighting is by far some of the best PC's on the market. As you can see, they have just the right spectrum of light!!!!

I do think they are working hard on the pods to improve them though. One thing I will say, I looked at the 24 gallon this weekend at something fishy and I have to say the stand that the tank comes with is very shabby. There is NO way I would place a 24 gallon tank on one of them. With the tank empty, it looked like it was very shakey and wobbly....I have my 12 gallon on a modified end table. Although its only 2 feet off the ground, its not going anywhere. I think they need to make the pod stands more less top heavy and more of a solid base than what they are now....

All and all the aquapod is a decent tank! Good luck!

Spankey:)

Sad how that guy flammed your tank. Then he posted to have the POD posters moved to thier own forum. Why can't people just get along? You have a nice tank and he probably has one too? A tank is a tank. Its what we put in it that makes them all diferent! Why can't some realize this. Such a shame to cut down a person's first attempt at this hobby. Its people like that, that make the new people not enjoy the hobby.

Glad to see he left you alone!!!!!

Spankey! :happy:

Sad how that guy flammed your tank. Then he posted to have the POD posters moved to thier own forum. Why can't people just get along? You have a nice tank and he probably has one too? A tank is a tank. Its what we put in it that makes them all diferent! Why can't some realize this. Such a shame to cut down a person's first attempt at this hobby. Its people like that, that make the new people not enjoy the hobby.

Glad to see he left you alone!!!!!

Spankey! :happy:

Ya, dont worry about that guy, Taylorb, he just doesnt have anything productive to say. I've been running a 55 gallon for a while now with all kinds of corals. Now I just got an 24 G Aquapod and am stoked to see how it turns out. Everything seems to work pretty good so far. Just have to finish some mods and start dropping some life in there.

This is a great hobby, try not to get too addicted to it!! :)

I won't worry about him. I had a diatoms break out the other day, so I picked up 3 more blue leggs today, total of 7 now. Already had one of the hermit I got saturday molt the night before last. They are going to town now. I ordered some Chaeto, it should be here tomorrow, it will be going in the 1st chamber. I got a 13w PC lamp from work that was broke, but the light still worked, so I will cut the vinal off the back to light the chaeto.

Here is a new picture.

IMG_0394.jpg

I pickup a few frags today from a local guy, got them all for $20. I got Green Nephthea, Hammer, Pink Montipora digitata, Green Starburst Polyps. I also got my Chaeto in the mail today, so I modded the back with the desk lamp.

Here is a new picture.

IMG_0414.jpg

Taylor

• 2 weeks later...

dude nice tank,

Hey my pod is in the mail i went withe 70w hqi, i hope it was the right choice. Anyway are u running a protien skimmer and if which one? or are u planing one in the future. Also what about changing the stock pump? I am going with the mod for the rufe too at lease i plan too. one last thing any sugestion from anyone else/

thanks for the help

firedog

I don't have a skimmer and I don't have any plans on getting one. I still have the stock pump, but I have a maxi-jet 1200 on the way. I did make a surface skimmer out of a casset tape case. I cut it down and notched it to fit over the wall so it wouldn't fall. I also cut a piece of black plastic and put it in between the wall slots and block off plates to keep water from leaking threw and keep the 'fuge light out, it seems to be working well. The water level is about 3 inches lower in the back than the front. I have a small piece of the sponge to catch stuff.

Here is a new Picture

IMG_0474.jpg

The cassett tape cover is to block the grate at the top, so the surface will spill over? right? I dont have mine yet so i dont have a good picture in my mind on how the intakes work. I have an idea about the divider leaking and how to fix it. so no skimmer means weekly water change? or will the fuge extend the time. In my other tanks no fuge, so i am new to the concept, and i am running skimmers

Archived