Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Overhead Refugium?

Robbo

As a beginner I followed my LFS advice and purchased a All In One tank and and now know this was my first mistake ( I won't go in to details about the others).

My question is could I make half of the overhead filter into a refugium?

It would be 3" deep 8.5" long and 5" wide.

I am not sure if this is deep enough, I can make it longer if required as I will be using the other half of the filter for particle filtration and carbon etc when required.

I am planing to have live sand, LR and macro algea in the refugium with LED lighting(as I have seen done on this site)

My question is could I make half of the overhead filter into a refugium?

I am sure you could. Can you post a pic or diagram of the filter design?

The good thing with that is any Pods would have a smooth ride into your tank. I remember a couple years ago seeing a design for a fuge that was overhead and flushed into the tank to add random water movment. I belive it used parts from a toilet to function. Sorry got sidetracked on your topic.

One Eyed Bunny

I'd be very interested in how this turns out for you. My only concern is the increased flow from water 'falling' at 9.81 m/s^2 and how it may affect your tank.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Attached is a diagram of the overhead filter comparment.

There is no problem with the water "falling" into the tank as the outlet is only 1" above the water and has a deflector attached.

Can anyone post a diagram of the water flow through a refugium as I am a little unsure how it should work?

The tank is an all in one JEBO R362.

Refugium.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

I don't see any reason why you couldn't take away some of the 'filter' space and turn it into more 'fuge' space.

That being said, the flow might be a bit strong coming into the fuge. You want the water to move through the fuge slowly so that the algae/rock rubble/live sand can work it's magic! You could remedy this situation by using a smaller/less powerful pump perhaps.

Something to keep in mind as well that adding a few more inces of fuge might not really make enough difference to justify the whole mod. Fuges really need to be around 1/3 to 1/2 of the total tank size. It seems like you are way under this as is, so I don't think you would see noticeable results.

But it would be a cool mod in that I haven't seen very many of these style tanks posted--different is good in that it gives others something new to look at as can lead to even better ideas!

Good luck!

After doing some more research I have now decided to put a standard refugium onto the take with more capacity than the over head comparment has.

Archived