Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Wiring Fans into your canopy?

nube-reefer

nube-reefer

Hey guys, I know pretty much nothing about this topic but figure I should learn how to do it. I'm currently in the process of building a canopy for my gf's pico tank and I was wondering how to wire in some PC computer fans? I've read to cut off the connectors, pre drill before screwing them into the canopy etc, however I don't know anything about how to power them.... I know this probably sounds pretty stupid but I don't know anything about wiring... is there some sort of power supply that I need to plug them into and then into a socket? Thx in advance.

Nube-reefer

darkstar339

just go to radio shack and ask for an DC-AC converter. bring your fans so they can match up all the electrical stuff and then wire them to that. pretty simple once you see it done.

just go to radio shack and ask for an DC-AC converter. bring your fans so they can match up all the electrical stuff and then wire them to that. pretty simple once you see it done.

^^^What darkstar said. That's probably the easiest way to do it. If the fans or transformer blow, you can blame it on Radio Shack!

Reefer Addict

If you want to get fancy you could also get a fan controller. It is normally used to bring down the noise levels of fans by slowing them down. This one controls the speed for up to 4 fans. Blue light = fast speed. Red light = slow speed. I found an old 12vdc transformer that I cut and spliced... B) This particular setup is being used with my vivarium to control condensation on the viewing glass.

FanSpeedAdjuster.jpg

reefer addict

1) are those knobs just switches or can they putout variable voltage

2) where'd you get that thingamajiggy

3) you on sdreefs at all anymore?

Reefer Addict
reefer addict

1) are those knobs just switches or can they putout variable voltage

2) where'd you get that thingamajiggy

3) you on sdreefs at all anymore?

1) They put out variable voltage. Turn to the left slows the fan(s) down..to the right speeds them up.

2) I bought it from jab-tech.

http://www.jab-tech.com/Sunbeam-5-1-4-Rheo...CK-pr-2530.html

3) Not to much. I have been taking a break from reefing due to burn out...

Archived