Already cured rock... should the tank cycle?

Rawny804

I was wondering... Im starting a brand new 15g tank. about 15 lbs of Agronite Sand, 7 lbs of base rock and about 10-15 lbs of live rock. The live rock is coming out of my friends system who's system has been running for about 4 yrs so the rock is cured. My question is... is there a reason to cycle the tank? if so... about how long?? Lighting will consist of 32wx2 PCs and a 70w HQI MH with a 14k bulb. Thanks!

you might still have a cycle...It depends on if the rock ever comes out of water to transport it to your tank....Was the aragonite used in the tank new or established? What about the water?

... is there a reason to cycle the tank? if so... about how long??

You dont cycle the tank, it will do it on its own.

You may have a small cycle, but if you get the rock out of his tank and into yours quickly (and keep it in water during transport) it should be small to unnoticable.

Your lighting sounds good. How will you circulate the tank?

What about the sand and water?

sand is agronite crushed coral (sugar sized) and new... the water will be the "living water" that you can buy that already has biolife in it. im using around 10 gallons of that. Movement will consist of the AC500 fuge i have and a AquaJet mini (2 of them).

I'm a little iffy on the store bought "live water", unless you know where it came from. Everything else sounds good.

You are still going to have a cycle cause your sandbed is new....You can speed it up a bit if you can get a cup or 2 of sand thats already established

I'm a little iffy on the store bought "live water", unless you know where it came from. Everything else sounds good.

I agree... I went to look at the "live water" and i thought to myself..."how long has it been sitting here..." so i am doing what i always used in the past... good ol' RO/Di water with Oceanic Salt :P

Archived