Pod Your Reef

Are Camel Shrimps reef Safe?

oscar5453

I've had 2 camel shrimps in my tabk for 6 months now without a problem. Well at least not that I have noticed. Today at the LFS they told me that Camel Shrimps were not reef safe.

What do you guys think?

-Oscar

does anyone actually search for anything anymore?? lol. i could have sworn i just saw a camel shrimp thread a week or two ago. :rolleyes: [/rant]

as pro said, camel shrimp are not reef safe...they have an appetite for soft corals unless you keep them well fed (but even well fed, i wouldn't trust them!). goodluck catching the little sucker...they are such a pain to catch!

I have a friend who has kept one in his 30 reef tank for months with no issues. I also have a camel shrimp in my 2.5 pico and so far it hasn't advanced on my coral, but I plan to replace it soon just to be safe.

Camel shrimp are a bad idea... even peppermint shrimp which are more reef safe arent really very trustworthy... mine was an absolute jem for a month, or until hed eaten all the aptasia... now he seems to be very interested in my Galaxia and regrettably will have to go back to LFS soon..

I have a camel shrimp and he has not caused any problems. He has been in my 12gal N.C for a year. He does go on my zoos and seems to pick at debris that has drifted after feeding but does not seem to bother the corals themselves. I think it`s probably hit or miss with them though.

I've owned both sexy shrimp and camel shrimp. And besides the abdomen waving I'd swear they are the same shrimp. Both look pretty cool, and both prey on softies (they are sneaky about it)

Just because you guys that have been keeping them dont see them picking at corals doesnt mean they arent...

exactly.

when i was a noob, i bought a camel shrimp before i was into the whole coral thing...i found n-r.com and started adding beginner softies (mushrooms, zoanthids, etc.). within a month or two i started to notice that i was losing mushrooms. they would just disappear. i decided to stake out my tank at night after reading this. but i didn't find a giant worm or even any worms eating my shrooms...it was the damn camel shrimp. either way, having a camel shrimp in your tank with softies is just asking for trouble.

I posted similar questions not too long ago and never got much for an answer. I ended up with a camel shrimp but haven't added any corals yet so I was wondering if it's guranteed they do damage or if he might be ok in my 20g long. While he's kinda cool I don't have the money to replace anything he does decide to eat. Now I'm deciding where to put him instead. I think he's too big to go in my narrow little 3g aquafuge but I've been thinking about setting up a simple 5g fowlr with the shrimp and maybe a neon goby or similar small fish.

Archived