Help Mushroom touching zoos

Juanhunglo69

Juanhunglo69

I set this tank up and left for Iraq a month later. Everything is sprouting up good, apparenty a little too good. one of my mushrooms has gotten so large that it is touching the yellow and green Zoanthids. I haven't moved any corals from rock before so I don't know what to tell the wife to do. The shroom would be alot easier to move as it, well you know. I did a search on here and keep coming back with errors. Talk about field conditions

Talk about field conditions

Dude, you are in the field and still Nano Reefing? Talk about dedication.

If the shrooms aren't stinging them back, why move them?

If you want her to move something, couldn't she just cut the shroom off the rock and glue it somewhere else?

darkwaterdevil

dont need to cut the shroom off i moved them by takeing the end of my fingernail and slowly pushing it dwards the bast and scrapeong it up off the rock no damage to the coral

brent-konieczny

Mushrooms are sooo smelly (at least my hairy shroom). I tried the fingernail, but it wasn't working. So I chipped off a tiny piece of rock with its base still attached. I suggest cutting the head and netting it somewhere else till it attaches.

Juanhunglo69
If you want her to move something, couldn't she just cut the shroom off the rock and glue it somewhere else?

I am looking at how to tell her step by step. I haven't done this yet. I was going to tell her to get a razor out and cut it as close to the rock as she possibly can but don't know if this is standard practice. The zoos are on a small piece of rock and the shroom decided that it liked that rock better than where it was. The zoos are drawn up and the shroom stays lifted up away from it.

As far as being dedicated my son wanted a fish tank so I went all out. I didn't have alot as a kid so my kids get it all. I researched this site for 3 months before I made my purchase and have had a blast doing this. I have orders to go to Germmany in September and have to give the tank up for the move. But will set it up again when I get there. I will have to get all new corals and all unless, you guys have a sure fire way cheap way of saving them without a tank.

I am looking at how to tell her step by step. I haven't done this yet. I was going to tell her to get a razor out and cut it as close to the rock as she possibly can but don't know if this is standard practice.

I don't know if it is either, but I know that shrooms are really hardy and shouldn't have a problem with being cut from the rock. I like the fingernail idea and that is what I should try first, but I don't think there is any reason to be afraid of cutting the shroom.

Having said all that, I don't know if I would move it unless I started to see some detrimental effect on the zoas. If the zoas are still out and extended, then the shroom's presence obviously doesn't bother them much.

I have orders to go to Germmany in September and have to give the tank up for the move. But will set it up again when I get there. I will have to get all new corals and all unless, you guys have a sure fire way cheap way of saving them without a tank.

I wish I could help you there. I've never tried bringing animals across borders, especially such delicate ones.

Little Luey

One thing to be carefull of is to wear gloves when handling/fragging zoos they release toxins that could be dangerous for humans/pets. Please do not take a chance, I see you plan on moving the mushroom but if the zoos are doing their thing... It wounld not be cool.

neanderthalman

Not to completely derail this thread, but palytoxin (the toxin claimed to exist in zoanthids) is pretty much an urban legend. The only "zoo" that posesses palytoxin is not a zoanthid at all, but a palythoa, P. Toxica. It is found in one very small tidepool in Hawaii and is not found in the aquarium industry.

There ARE other organisms out there that make use of palytoxin, but the zoanthids in aquaria are not one of them.

Despite the absence of palytoxin, there are many different compounds produced by corals of all types, and care should be taken and gloves worn when fragging to avoid exposure and possible allergic reactions.

Stories of palytoxin poisonings in the aquarium hobby are a myth, as palytoxin has such a high toxicity that exposure is nearly always fatal. Stories of poisonings in the aquarium hobby are NOT a myth, and care should be taken - they are not, however, the result of palytoxin.

Welcome to NR Luey :)

ask your CO for a leave for family hardship.

When he passes out from laughter, steal a plane.

Keep your head down and good luck!

And while it seems trite I'd like to thank you. I'm a pansy ass liberal, but I know lots of people over there and I'm humbled and patriotic.

Show your patriotism by ducking.

Juanhunglo69

I'm one of the lucky ones. I got sent down to Qatar and it is OK. Nothing but desert and fine sand but no bullets flying overhead. I am having surgery friday on my wrist and should get to stay here for the rest of my time. I work 72 or more hours a week and it sucks. No overtime no fish tank but internet at my fingertips. So this is the reason that I am on here alot lately.

Archived