Pod Your Reef

looking for the best way to add a fish to my reef

mike99420

i am going to quarantine the fish for a day or so, should the quarantine have som kind of copper based med to remove any ich that may be presant? what do you guys do before adding a fish?

ixnay on the copper. i usually drip acclimate for a good hour. quarantine isnt a bad idea either, but you dont want copper getting into your tank. not good for your inverts.

ixnay on the copper.

Agreed.

Several LFSs near me dip all their new fish in FW for up to two minutes before adding them to their tanks.

ixnay on the copper. i usually drip acclimate for a good hour. quarantine isnt a bad idea either, but you dont want copper getting into your tank. not good for your inverts.

i know that the copper is bad, what i was thinking was that the day i get it, keep it in a tank with copper, then, in a tank w/o copper to remove it for a few hours, then put it in the tank. i just want to prevent from adding a fish that may have ich, but if everyone thinks ishould skip the copper then i will.

Agreed.

Several LFSs near me dip all their new fish in FW for up to two minutes before adding them to their tanks.

will just dipping them in fw get rid of ich if it is presant, and or starting to get it?

it helps greatly to look your fish over before buying it. of course if you order by mail theres not alot you can do but keeping a skunk cleaner is never a bad idea either

will just dipping them in fw get rid of ich if it is presant, and or starting to get it?

Not sure, I have never FW dipped a fish.

The guy at the LFS swears by it (that and $0.75 will get you a cup of coffee) and all this stock looks healthy.

fresh water dip is risky. just acclimate the fish properly. do you have a quarantine tank? if your worried just put him in a separate tank and watch him for a day or two. ixnay on the copper. that stuff is best left to reef experts.

I agree with Iveman & Kyle .... checking the fish over before you buy is critical. I always ask to have the store feed it so I can observe it eating. I also inquire as to how long it has been in the store. Secondly, and just as important. float the bag for 10-15 minutes and then drip acclimate for an hour or so. When the bag starts filling, draw out some water and let the drip continue. The goal is to slowly replace the LFS water with your own.

Little Luey

Agreed on the QT, but I really don't think one day quarentine will do much for you, I used to QT and I would leave the fish in the tank at least 2 weeks just to make sure he was ok and eating.

I have never drip acclimated a fish....I let the bag float for about 15 mins then net the fish and drop him in....No problems either...lol

You guys are your time wasting drip acclimation

I dont know most of the time you see this raptor guy chime in it is negative (to much scotch) but I have never said anything until now... I figured he knew more than me but to tell somebody to just chunk a fish into their tank without aclimating to their salinity ph etc is nuts....just takes a little while to acclimate and your results should be fine

RUGDOG - If the fish is healthy and you did your part by making sure the LFS shows you that it eats, It swims freely and doesnt hide, and has no blemishes anywhere on it you will have no problem with my acclimation procedure....

Before reefing I was into FOWLR tank for many years....Ive always done this acclimation prcedure with all of my fish (some rare and hard to take care of) and I have never had a casualty

ok "PRO" I would say you are in a great minority and in my opinion it is lousy advise...but you more than most I read around here should know what they say about opinions :)

Archived