Top Shelf Aquatics

Identity in question: Worm in a rock?

Mr. Fosi

Looks like a Sipunculida (peanut worm). They are intersting but harmless. The mouth retracks into teh body in an inverted way. unique animal but common in oceans

I third that. Sipunculids are great to have and fascinating. They come in a few different colors and patterns, so you may find others. Try to watch it eating, and see if it doesn't unfold a little corolla of tentacle-like mouthparts at fullest extension. Their method of telescoping open/closed is also characteristic. (You may be able to observe their behavior better at night with a red flashlight, though I have some that are not "shy" and can be observed toward the end of the photoperiod while the lights are still on.

--Diane

Their method of telescoping open/closed is also characteristic.

It does, indeed, telescope. I hadn't thought of it, but that is a fairly unique.

...some that are not "shy"...

This one comes while the lights are on and retracts when lit by white light.

I don't have a red light, but I suppose I could pic up a red LED from radioshack.

NaughtyCashew

I found one of those in my tank today. Scary looking buggers when they open up their mouths. Reminds me of those worms from "Tremors"

Think of them as fascinating! And tireless rock cleaners. For an exercise in frustration, try to capture a photograph of the mouth at full "unfurlment." It's like trying to capture a chameleon's tongue at full extension.

--Diane

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

i have hundreds of black and white peanut worms in my tank a couple varieties have feathers, very similar to dusters.

Archived