Top Shelf Aquatics

NEW 12G DELUXE NANO

fishfreak2407

so lets say I dont have a/c...she could heat up pretty fast???.........I dont mean to be a pain here people Im just trying to do whats best for the animals and me :) and thanx to everone who has responded so far ;)

If you don't have A/C, then it will depend on where you live. If it's Alaska, then you're probably ok, Florida would be a NO. How hot does it get inside your house?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
fishfreak2407

it can get pretty warm in the summer (cali)and the 5gall knockoff tank ive got up right now has been in the 80s and its been 65 outside and rainy :huh: I guess Im answering the question as I type :lol: aga, with mods!??!?and even then I hope we make it through summer :o

yeah, I would say if you can't keep the temp inside your home under 80 (especially during summer), a nano cube will probably be too hot

I also live in California and although raining and cold right now it gets hot out here in the summer...IF you dont have A/C or can keep your house around 75 degrees an all in one is going to fry

My 12 gallon dx has been running right out of the box for almost a year and a half, there are pictures in my gallery. I took out all the stuff in the back except the pump, I put filter floss in the first compartment and change that once a week when I do my water change. Works out pretty well for me.

My $.02!

If your NOT worried about what the outside looks like...AGA! many more options.

If you want the outside to look clean....NC/AP

My NC cube is in my kitchen under the cabinets, so I did'nt have room for an AGA, but I also did'nt like the look of it. It stuck out like a sore thumb.

When I set my cube up I took the styrofoam out of the bootom of the box and cut it out and placed it under the tank for added support and to prevent stress on the glass. The outline is already pressed in the foam from the tank setting on it. Works like a charm! I even slide mine in and out from under the cabinet to do maint. and still no problem.

Go for the outside look. You'll be happy with either tank.. IMO.

To many people have them (cubes), and love them for them to be junk!!! Myself included!

I second these sentiments. I have a JBJ 12 DX and a Marineland (Perfecto) 28 gal Euro Bowfront. I have had tanks of one size or another for most of the last 45 years--28 of those exclusively sw. The only tank that has ever made me nervous is the nano cube. I saw a broken 24 at a LFS and was shocked at how thin the glass was.

I like the design of the cube and it works very well. The one I have has been running fine for 7 months and if you are patient, the stock system (with a surface skimmer) is completely capable of providing a good environment for anything other than top-of-the-reef corals like purple or blue acros.

The problem is, and this applies to the Nano-Cube, the AquaPod, and whatever Oceanic is calling theirs, you have a small bow-front aquarium, which means it is already stressed more than a flat front aquarium, with seamless corners which means that micro-cracks are real possibility (at the very least the corners are less stable than the flat areas) and the glass is not tempered so it scratches more easily. I already have four or five small scratches in the glass. Glass that is very thin--and stressed. The bowfront has no center brace so it is stressed even more. In all, an accident just waiting to happen.

I love the nano but I have a large tupperware container sitting empty just waiting for the inevitable to happen. The 24 is, in my opinion, an accident that is bound to happen someday. The 12 is a real possibility for an accident. The 6 is probably safe. The new tanks have thicker glass (still not as thick as a comparable size AGA or Perfecto though). That is a BIG improvement but I am planning to shut down the nano and move everything to some other tank as soon as I can afford to. No sense ruining the carpet just to prove a point.

Tom

fishfreak2407

well after all this I took back my nano and bought a 16gall aga bow front. looks really nice and I can add my own components. so far I have the 96watt qaud,3/4watt moonlight,titanium 50watt heater, ac 300/or 500 cant decide, 180 rio powerhead, no top on the tank and the qaud is on stilts should I get rid of the stilts for better light? I will add 15 pounds of l/r and a 10 pound bag ofl/s.......any suggestions would be gretatly appreciated and thnx again for everyones input :)

Archived