Pod Your Reef

NEW 12G DELUXE NANO

fishfreak2407

Brother-Shark-Bait

How do you know if you have the old 12 G nano Cube or the new 2006 version? I have had my nano cube for about two weeks now and love it. My wife wishes that I would show the same intrest in her that I do with the tank LOL. I wish I found this forum before I started my set up. I think that the LFS saw me comming and did not help me out with my set up at all. You guys have a lot of good ideas and if I had any idea of how to wire up a lighting mod without killing myself I would. Thanks for all of your imput.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
RayWhisperer

Welcome to N-R.com.

You'll know if you have an 06 if you see a date sticker on the upper corner on the back side of the tank. I think they started in october of 05, so if it says october 05 or later, you'll have the 06. HTH

EclipseAgent
How do you know if you have the old 12 G nano Cube or the new 2006 version? I have had my nano cube for about two weeks now and love it. My wife wishes that I would show the same intrest in her that I do with the tank LOL. I wish I found this forum before I started my set up. I think that the LFS saw me comming and did not help me out with my set up at all. You guys have a lot of good ideas and if I had any idea of how to wire up a lighting mod without killing myself I would. Thanks for all of your imput.

Tell me about it, my GF says it's either the Cat or the Fish Tank getting more attention.. and i'll tell you one thing, we're about a week from breaking up if I don't show her affection.. Doh!

Carolina Fish Nuts

get your wife or gf invalved in the fish stuff with you if she is willing.

my husband and i work on all our tanks together and discuss everything that invalves the tanks before we do anything or buy anything. we always go together to get the stuff we may need or i let him know what is coming in at work so that he can come and see. most of the time if he is working from home that day he will come and help put out the new fish and coral. this makes it more fun for me b/c he loves to do the fish thing with me.

littletyger

Yeah, good luck with that! The only interest my husband shows is in how much I've been spending! When he says "I don't remember you having that _____ before" I just smile!

To Fishfreak2407: Take a look at Steelhealr's thread on setting up a tank for beginners. His tank is larger, but the principles are the same.

fishfreak2407
To Fishfreak2407: Take a look at Steelhealr's thread on setting up a tank for beginners. His tank is larger, but the principles are the same.

okie dokie ;)

Brother-Shark-Bait

Well I dont have a sticker on the back of the cube. Guess I have the old version but it seems to be woking fine right now. Lets just hope that it stays that way. I have been reading some of the set up posts and really like the live rock idea in chamber # 2. My only question is if I do that now will I have to start the clock over again before ading corals? And as far as my wife helping me with the fish tank goes I thing I have a better shot of winning the nobel peace prize LOL. I can't help it though most of the time when she wants to watch TV with me I stare a 12 gallon cube of water and rock LOL. At least I have a whole forum of people that understand where I'm comming from.

Obsessed Reefer

well if you move some rock from your main tank to chamber 2 then you dont have to start your cycle over again. but if you buy new rock then you might have a small new cycle so just keep on watching your params.

fishfreak2407
I stare a 12 gallon cube of water and rock LOL. At least I have a whole forum of people that understand where I'm comming from.

:P been doin it for years with my freshwater .......now salt!!!! im a gonner :lol:

o.k ........soooooo, based on the input thus far it looks like one sponge(to be rinsed weekly), some live rock rubble ,and then the heater with the upgraded 600 or 900 not sure on the flow, but im thinking the 600 would be sufficient.lighting out of the box will have to do for now and........I think thats it except for the live rock and sand. how much sand 10-20 pound bag?and I dont see or hear ANYBODY useing airstones at all is there a reason for not useing one. and thats it for now :D

RayWhisperer
I think thats it except for the live rock and sand. how much sand 10-20 pound bag?and I dont see or hear ANYBODY useing airstones at all is there a reason for not useing one.
I'd say 10 lbs of LS would suffice... Deep sand bed's(DSB's) aren't a good idea in a nano, and IMO 20lbs is getting borderline DSB. Live rock, go with 1 to 2 lbs per gallon of water, so 12-15lbs would do fine. Airstones are a bad idea in a display, or rear chamber for that matter. Try sticking one in your display or rear chamber area when you set up... You'll learn the true meaning of micro bubbles.

On another note; you were planning on just putting LR in chamber 2. You may want to consider doing a refugium mod to it. Check around, Stealhealr did a thread on it awhile back. It's very simple and cheap, not to mention, much more effective than just LR rubble.

fishfreak2407

well while researching set ups I cant disregard the "qaulity" issues, my cube is still in the box and now Im really reconsidering even setting it up!?I dont mean to start a big war here but..........Im really rethinking this and considering piecing something together rather then mopping up my tank and animals of the floor!! :o I know there are no gaurentees in life but at this point I do have a choice........

fishfreak2407

well im looking around and I have discovered that I can convert my old ten gallon into a mini reef with improved lighting(96 watts)I can add a hang on , heater and a power head and walla!.......I still really like the look of the nano, but ..........what do you guys think,I still just could run the nano but I know it would remain stock and with the ten gallon I could start out with more lighting ect. man what to do?????

well im looking around and I have discovered that I can convert my old ten gallon into a mini reef with improved lighting(96 watts)I can add a hang on , heater and a power head and walla!.......I still really like the look of the nano, but ..........what do you guys think,I still just could riun the nano but I know it would remain stock and with the ten gallon I could start out with more lighting ect. man what to do?????

here's my 2 cents

It really comes down to personal preference. In terms of cost and flexibility a AGA will beat the nano cube/aquapod. However, in terms of a nice simple, clean look you have to go with a cube or pod. For example, I have my cube set up in the foyer so that the first thing a visitor sees is this great looking tank. My girlfriend would never let me have a 10 gallon AGA set up with a bunch ugly equipment hanging off the back right at the entrance of our apartment.

fishfreak2407
Nanocubes are junk go with the 10 gallon AGA and a 96 watt power quad

I gotta say Im really leaning that way, and by the way what is aga?

My $.02!

If your NOT worried about what the outside looks like...AGA! many more options.

If you want the outside to look clean....NC/AP

My NC cube is in my kitchen under the cabinets, so I did'nt have room for an AGA, but I also did'nt like the look of it. It stuck out like a sore thumb.

When I set my cube up I took the styrofoam out of the bootom of the box and cut it out and placed it under the tank for added support and to prevent stress on the glass. The outline is already pressed in the foam from the tank setting on it. Works like a charm! I even slide mine in and out from under the cabinet to do maint. and still no problem.

Go for the outside look. You'll be happy with either tank.. IMO.

To many people have them (cubes), and love them for them to be junk!!! Myself included!

fishfreak2407
My $.02!

If your NOT worried about what the outside looks like...AGA! many more options.

If you want the outside to look clean....NC/AP

My NC cube is in my kitchen under the cabinets, so I did'nt have room for an AGA, but I also did'nt like the look of it. It stuck out like a sore thumb.

When I set my cube up I took the styrofoam out of the bootom of the box and cut it out and placed it under the tank for added support and to prevent stress on the glass. The outline is already pressed in the foam from the tank setting on it. Works like a charm! I even slide mine in and out from under the cabinet to do maint. and still no problem.

Go for the outside look. You'll be happy with either tank.. IMO.

To many people have them (cubes), and love them for them to be junk!!! Myself included!

do you find that you have any heat issues or are limited to what animals you can keep?

There really arent heat issues with the stock cube, it's if you start adding lights and other mods. My stock cube runs at about 80 degrees (I keep the A/C thermostat at 75 degrees). For adding fish, you are only limited by the size of the tank (so you can have basically as many fish in a 12gal cube as a 10gal AGA). In terms of corals, it will depend on the lighting. With a stock cube it's really only the SPS corals that you won't be able to keep

fishfreak2407

so lets say I dont have a/c...she could heat up pretty fast???.........I dont mean to be a pain here people Im just trying to do whats best for the animals and me :) and thanx to everone who has responded so far ;)

If you dont have A/C dont even think about getting an all-in-one tank....You will be much happier with a regular tank

Archived