Innovative Marine Aquariums

NEW 12G DELUXE NANO

fishfreak2407

fishfreak2407

Hi, first let me say I love this sight and im sure it will( and has already been) very informative!!........anyway my question is can I run my nano right out of the box.or should I remove or add something to the filtration that is provided ect.I would like to make it a little reef :D thnx in advance

fishfreak2407 :)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WEll it depends what you are putting in it?

I have a 12 g Dx First you probably only want to use one of the three sponges they give you, and remember to clean it out weekly. Second, take out the Bio balls and ceramic rings. Fill chamber two about 1/2 full with Live Rock Rubble then place carbon on top of it.( you can use the carbon they gave you but it would be a better idea to get phos-ban and Chemi-pure. Then in Chamber thrwee you will need a heater Ebo-Jager 75WT of 50WT works great. Then the Pump they give you sucks so you should upgrade to a Maxi0-Jet 900 or Rio 600. If you dont use a fission skimmer ( you shouldnt) you will want to make a cassette skimmer look in the DIY section it is very easy to make. You can alson buy them at nanocustoms/tuners. You can also put a Uv sterolizer ( wouldn't recommend it) or a chiller (ICA from nano tuners) but the ebo Jager heater usually does a good job.

You also need all of your test kits, salt, thermometer, ect.

EclipseAgent
WEll it depends what you are putting in it?

I have a 12 g Dx First you probably only want to use one of the three sponges they give you, and remember to clean it out weekly. Second, take out the Bio balls and ceramic rings. Fill chamber two about 1/2 full with Live Rock Rubble then place carbon on top of it.( you can use the carbon they gave you but it would be a better idea to get phos-ban and Chemi-pure. Then in Chamber thrwee you will need a heater Ebo-Jager 75WT of 50WT works great. Then the Pump they give you sucks so you should upgrade to a Maxi0-Jet 900 or Rio 600. If you dont use a fission skimmer ( you shouldnt) you will want to make a cassette skimmer look in the DIY section it is very easy to make. You can alson buy them at nanocustoms/tuners. You can also put a Uv sterolizer ( wouldn't recommend it) or a chiller (ICA from nano tuners) but the ebo Jager heater usually does a good job.

You also need all of your test kits, salt, thermometer, ect.

Why do you recommend only 1 sponge? Also, why are you against the fissionnn skimmer? It may not be the best, but it's something.

Nano-Bob on the forums also makes a very good cassette skimmer.

Obsessed Reefer

What model is the NC. if it's '06 it should have come with a M.S.S.

'cus mine is '06 but it didnt say it on the box but it still came with it cus mine was made in 12 2005 but it was an '06 model but it didnt have it on the box

RayWhisperer

Welcome to N-R.com.

There are many ways to go with the NC 12 DX. The reason most reccomend removing the sponges, ceramic rings, bio balls, is because over time they become covered in debris. They then produce alot of nitrates. It can be run with all the stock equipment, it's just much easier to do some minor changes. Look around the forums here to see the different ways people have set up their NC rear chambers.

fishfreak2407

and one more thing...the more I look around there are alot of jbj bashers, should I even open the box ????I dont want garbage omgomgomg

RayWhisperer

Lots of folks bash JBJ here. Personally, I have 5 NC's all made prior to the new 06 models, and have never had a problem. Many will say " Go with the Aquapod, it's better!" I can't rationalize this. The AP hasn't been around long enough to get any idea of the cracking rate as compared to the NC's. Same goes for the 06 model NC's, more time is needed before anyone can say the problem has been solved. Curved glass tanks will be a potential threat nomatter who makes them.

fishfreak2407

o.k.........I know there are no gaurentees, but i do know you folks have been around the block....thnx for your input :)

EclipseAgent
Welcome to N-R.com.

There are many ways to go with the NC 12 DX. The reason most reccomend removing the sponges, ceramic rings, bio balls, is because over time they become covered in debris. They then produce alot of nitrates. It can be run with all the stock equipment, it's just much easier to do some minor changes. Look around the forums here to see the different ways people have set up their NC rear chambers.

Should I take out all sponges? What should I put in place of the sponge and stuff in the back comptments?

Right now I have:

Chamber 1: 3 Sponges

Chamber 2: Carbon Bag

Chamber 3: Heater / MaxiJet 900

I am going to introduce about 1lb of rubble to chamber 2..

What else is recommended?

RayWhisperer

I'd reccomend removing atleast 2 of them, and cleaning the other weekly. Another way is to remove all of them and use filter floss. Filter floss is cheap(I think like $2 for a big bag), gust remove the dirty floss, and replace it with fresh stuff weekly.

For all those who put LR rubble into the rear chambers... Remember, it needs to be rinsed once a month... Just stick a turkey baster down into the rear chamber and blast it several times. This will break loose the debris. To prevent most of it from going into the display area, put some filter floss into the pump chamber, this will catch most of it before it can be pumped into the display.

EclipseAgent

Hummm.. I think when I go to the LFS today I will see if they have some.

Need to get some water.

Need to get turkey baster then too.. don't have one.. (I'm 24 for god sake.. I dunno how to cook).

I am new to Nano's .. usually kept Agressive Tanks.. until my ex took mine :(.

Thanks. *Running to take out some sponge* .. Last time I rinsed the sponge, it was pretty f'ing nasty (I did once a month).

Now going to get floss and do more often.. :) Should the floss be at the area where the water comes in?

ANything else in that chamber?

Yeah Do 1 sponge in the first chamber, Live rock rubble with Chemi- pure( my favorite) in the second, then a 50/75 wt jager heater then a maxi- jet 900 pump. This set-up is perfect.

You should use the given skimmer.

I have the nc Uv sterolizer and it doesnt really do much. The fission skimmer isnt very efficient and makes to many micro bubbles . The pump they give you is to weak and is loud.

You can also add a Hydor Flo Reflector for better circulartion ( doesnt stay on very good though)

nop thats all I have in my 12 and I haver no problems all though im upgrading to a 30g in a while( the 12 is too small ive all ready filled it up!!!! in only 6 months!!!!)

so the pump is garbage??...why

The stock pump got a bad reputation because some of them failed and they are not as efficient as the Mini-Jet/Maxi-Jet pumps. I have an 05 12 DX and a week or so after I set it up the pump made some bad noises so out it came and in went a Mini-Jet 606 in its place. It lowered the temperature in the tank slightly (maybe a half degree) and has better output 158 gph (at 6 watts) vs 106 gph (at 11 watts) for the stock pump.

I put the original pump into a 28 gallon reef with a HydorFlow as an auxilliary and it has been working flawlessly (and silently) for the past seven months, so they don't all suck but nanos tend to run hot and every little bit helps. I would not go crazy with the biggest pump you can jam in the cube until you decide on the organisms you are going to stock. Some need high flow rates and others don't.

I run a fairly stock nano with stock lighting, the jbj skimmer (bought separately) a mini-jet 606, a locline 2.5" duckbill (softens the output a little by spreading it more than the stock duckbill), an ebo-jager 50 watt heater and one sponge that is used in the first chamber one week per month then thoroughly rinsed and put aside to dry until next month. I do a bi-weekly 1 gallon water change that I pull from the second chamber that makes an efficient settling chamber.

Tom Harbin

Exactlty,Tom

You can use carbon but chemi-pure basically does the same thing exept better.

I dunno about the y splitter but the hydor flow gives me a little trouble you have to use something like superglue to hold it on or it will fall off. There's probably a thread somewere on it search the forums.

I you are going to have softies and zoo's go with a Mini jet 606 but for lps and anemones you probably want the maxi-jet 900.

If you plan to have gorgonians you probably should get the maxi-jet 900 with a scwd ( although i've bad things about it). If you are going to have sps you could use 2- maxi jet 900 ( but you would have to alter your intake) look at this http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=71227 he has done an exellent job!

For water changes I do about 2-1g or 1-2 a week!

Good luck!!

Carolina Fish Nuts

i personaly have a aquapod and a jbj, both work great and i love them

i also work at the lfs and part of my job is to take care of 8 nanos aquapods and jbj's. set the tank up just as the box says. use all the spunges. once u have it set up and runing for about a week strat doing weekly water changes of a bout 15% (this will drop the water just under the filter opening) rinse out your spunges a couple time a week (maybe twice) when rining out the spunges rinse it untel the water runs clear , do not use your old salt water to clean them run it under the falset with fresh water this will not hurt anything (i say that line b/c i have this customer that rinses her spunges out in the water she cleans out of her nano and will not use fresh water to clean them she is defeting the purpase of cleaning them) oh when puting the spunges in push them down to were they are below the filter opening and do not fill the water all the way up past the opening leve the water just a hair from the top of the filter opening this will help it kinda proten skim the water we tryed it this way at work and it works well ( the proten skimmer u can get works great to, and we have the on them at work but i chose not to use them at home they seem to get in the way ( it looks like a minni skimmer and sets in back of the tank) omgomgomg

oh forgot i did not change pumps i just made the flow hole smaller by taking tubing that fit the hole and just keep going smaller to i had a good jet of water

we did this at work to

this is cheeper that having to go get a new pump

For someone like me that is to lazy to wash out nasty sponges twice aweek I just use one it doesnt really matter although there is a nitrate factor

If you dont like the water line showing u can just make a cassette skimmer costs like 15 cents

Just get a maxi jet 900 only $16

Juanhunglo69

My tank is a late 05 tank with the LED moonlights. My set up has one sponge in the first chamber with the carbon in the bottom. The second chamber has nothing in it and the 3rd has the heater that I bought from walmart. Not sure of the name brand but it is a 50 watt heater that was 10 bucks or so and works fine. I have made no mods at all to my tank and it is running perfect for 4 months now. I gues that some of the pumps were junk. I tried to use all three sponges after my cycle and started getting an algae out burst. I was told that I was overfiltering(?) and to pull out all but one sponge and to make sure that my carbon was phosphate free. I had the carbon in my second chamber but moved it when I made my attempt at using that waste of money Fission skimmer. The carbon just stayed there when I pulled out the skimmer. No real reason to move it other than the fact that I was thinking of filling the second chamber with chaeto. The biggest thing that I can say is do your water changes. When our tank goes 8 days instead of the usual 7, you can visually see the difference. As soon as the change happens it looks brand new again.

Archived