ReefCleaners.org

Sand?

koiman6

I going to setup a 10 gallon nano and was wondering how do you clean live sand or should I just go with crushed coral.  Sorry the cleaning  part sounds dumd but I have no experience with sand at all  and how many pounds of sand should I get.  Also what are good online sites to order from. I already know of candybass any others

(Edited by koiman6 at 5:19 pm on May 22, 2002)

(Edited by koiman6 at 8:49 pm on May 22, 2002)

Your not supposed to clean the live sand.

Cleaned sand is the dead sand.

I would go for any fine sand and not crushed coral.

Crused coral isnt suitable for sand bed infauna and they are sharp etc for the infauna.

Well, hope this helps.  I am new to SW as well.

most of the "live sand" you'll find at the fish store is fiji crushed coral "sand," which is rather chunky and sharp for some of the smaller life forms, as sahin said.  the good thing about fiji live sand though is that you get beneficial bacteria to start out and also a lot of critters in their infant stages.  in my tank i put about 20lbs. of "dead" aragamax sand (fine sand) and way in the back of the tank on top of the finer sand a pound or two of "live" sand.  the organisms will propagate from the live sand into the dead sand bed.  i have lots of copepods (little whitish bugs on the sides of the aquarium) and spaghetti worms from the live sand.  an alternative to the fiji sand might be to order sand online... some websites offer fine-grain sand that has been seeded with lots of good stuff.

here's a link http://www.coralreeftanks.com/pages/live_r...-live_sand.html

Archived