Cultivated Reef

any one know is the silicones from homedeport reefsafe ?

lanceleaderx

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

read the fine print on the back of the label. if its not safe for aquariums, it will say so.

most will tell you on the front, "safe for aquariums" if not, then they usually say, not safe for aquariums/food surfaces in very fine print :)

i get mine from home hardware

IMG_6148.jpg

just normal kind for indoor/outdooor window & bath, water proof

100% silicone (it usually doesn't come in colors, only clear). Look on the package and it will tell you whether it is 100% silicone or not.

Accept no substitutes and don't buy anything that is antimicrobial or mildew resistant.

GE Silicon 1 for doors and windows is safe it is what All Glass uses but under there name. GE just manufactures it for them. Also make sure it does not say that it has a mildew inhibitor in it this will kill fish fast.

orang3julius

sorry to hijack, but this question correlates....

what's the difference between GE Silicone 1 and GE Silicone 2? I guess HD only provides GE.S.2 now:

077027050004_4.jpg

• Weatherproof/watertight

• Will not shrink or crack

• Permanently flexible

• BioSeal-mold and mildew product protectant

• Applies in all weather conditions

• Adheres to a broad range of surfaces

Internet ID 107702

Model # GE5000 12C

Color/Finish Clear

Size 10.1

Application Window & Door

Clean-up Solvent

Energy Star Compliant Energy Star

Exterior Yes

Interior Yes

Paintable No

Sealant Type 100% Silicone

Type Permanently Flexible

UPC CODE 077027050004

what's the difference between GE Silicone 1 and GE Silicone 2?

Dunno, but the Walmarts and Lowes around here usually have both I and II.

I wouldn't use something that has a mold/mildew protectant.

I have used this in the past:

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US...t.jsp?pn=107707

107707_3.jpg

100% silicone. Permanently flexible. Adheres to tile, porcelain, glass, fiberglass, marble, wood, steel, aluminum, brick, mortar, concrete, and most plastics. Lifetime satisfaction guarantee. Won't dry out, crack, chip or peel. Easy to use squeeze tube. Can be used as glue, sealant, caulk or gasketing, and for many patch and repair applications around the house and shop.

Internet # 107707

Catalog # 100070189

Store In-Stock SKU # 398934

Brand GE

Model # GE280 3TG

Color/Finish Clear

Size 2.8 Fl. Oz.

Adhesive Type 100% silicone

Application Glue, Gasketing, Adhesive

Clean-up Solvent

Exterior Yes

Interior Yes

Paintable No

Set-Up/Drying Time 24 Hr.

UPC CODE 077027002805

Well the GE II has the mildew/mold resitant stuff in all of it. The GE I only has it in the bathroom/kithchen type.

The same thing for GE I is true for GE II. Just don't get Bathroom and since. The both white and clear are safe. I haven't tried any other color.

Difference between I and II is in the curing process. People were getting sick/dieing from the fumes of I (acetic acid) so they changed it to emit a less lethal gas, ammonia. There are some changed in adhesion between the two that resulted, but GE I is supposed to work better for aquariums.

Nothing against you personally. But I really wish people who haven't tried these would stop telling other people what they don't know.

Nothing against you personally. But I really wish people who haven't tried these would stop telling other people what they don't know.

Well I did not realize the different chemical thing sorry about that but I do know what I am doing I would not use GE II for any reason. I have been keeping aquariums for years not SW but FW. I have used GE II in my early days to reseal a tank and it did not work to well. Lose of fish was involved. I then used the GE I and everything is still working to this day.

Difference between I and II is in the curing process. People were getting sick/dieing from the fumes of I (acetic acid) so they changed it to emit a less lethal gas, ammonia.

You sure you don't have that backwards?

Acetic acid is quite a bit less deadly than ammonia. Vinegar vs. floor cleaner...

Do you want to see the a picture of the GE II in my tank?

I am not saying it can not work. And I am not trying to attack you. I am saying IMHO I would not suggest using GE II when the all-glass brand silicone is GE I in an all-glass package.

You sure you don't have that backwards?

Acetic acid is quite a bit less deadly than ammonia. Vinegar vs. floor cleaner...

It had something to do with the body not recognizing it or something.

• 1 month later...
supersecretshinto
I am not saying it can not work. And I am not trying to attack you. I am saying IMHO I would not suggest using GE II when the all-glass brand silicone is GE I in an all-glass package.

I have often suspected this to be true having used both. I'm thinking if ge put "great for aquariums" in big letters on the front of the tube people would but it instead of AGA causing financial harm to a large consumer of thier product? Sorry....It's the conspiracy theorist in me. Also the ingredients in AGA aren't listed.....hmmmmmmm

chieferich

I'm using II. (black) -from lowe's

always have.

You just need to check two things: 1. it is 100% silicone 2. It is not mold/mildew resistant.

basically get the window and door without the anti mold/ mildew additive.

this is such an old arguement.

Archived