inTank Media Baskets

can aptasia be beat?? no luck so far

mxpro32

i hear everyone talking about how peppermint shrimp eat aptasia but i have put 4 of them in my girlfriends tank and they dont touch the stuff. they have been in there a month and no aptasia is unaccounted for (as if i could tell because there are so many). the irony is that one of the big aptasias ate one of the peppermint shrimp after it died. i have also tried the boiling water/kalkwasser trick but they always come back plus some. my 7 gallon had one aptasia till i tried to kill it with kalkwasser and now they popped up in several other places. i am getting desperate because i dont want my tank to end up infested like my girlfriends. so i ask again, can aptasia be beaten?? or am i just fighting a losing battle. thanks guys for listening to me rant.

Are you sure they are peppermint shrimp? Are you sure they are the right sp? Some spp don't touch em. The Lysamata Wurdemaii will eat em, the other kind and the camel shrimp won't.

they are definately not camel shrimp. and the owner of my fish store is pretty knowledgeable and he said they eat aptasia so i think they are the right species. they look just like the peppermint shrimp i have seen people post pictures of on here.

i had your same problem but the peppermint shrimp did the job for me. you wouldn't believe how many ataspia i had and within a week they were all gone. have faith in the shrimp man.

stop aiptasia. comes with a syringe and works wonders. the only problem I have with it is that I can't reach the base of some pests so they come back. The green stuff is reaf safe and I highly recommend it.

Are you feeding the tank? If so, the Peppermint shrimp will usually eat the food that you're feeding and NOT the aptaisia. If you want them to start eating, then stop feeding the tank for a while..don't worry..your other livestock will survive.

HTH...

Peppermints have always worked for me. I just added new LR to my tank with some Aiptasia on it and then after I added a couple of Peppermints they were gone overnight!

I also have had success using peps to get rid of aiptasia, but once they ate those they then turned to my yellow polyps. Like so many other things with this hobby though, nothing is set in stone. Maybe you could try getting a pep from another lfs and see if you have any luck with that one? Or maybe someone local has a proven aiptasia eating pep that you could have or borrow.

You might try putting the infested rock one by one into a separate tank with only the shrimp. Don't feed that tank -- the peppermints will get hungry, eat the aiptasia, you switch rocks, one by one all the little stingy dudes die.

There is also a nudibranch whose only diet is aiptasia. Berghia if I remember right. Only thing is once the anemones are gone, they will starve to death.

FWIW,

I put a peppermint in my tank less than 24 hours ago. I had 3 monstrous aptasia with several little one starting to sprout where the big ones once were. Overnight one disappeared. Coincidence? I think not. Give the shrimp a chance.

Mark

If they aren't bothering anything, a few are not the issue. Perhaps they are too big for the shrimps to tackle.

There is a size threshhold where they WON'T eat them. Try melting them with a thick calk paste and then see what they do. There are a bunch of threads on this. If this doesn't help, try looking back in the history... its a constant battle LOL.

When all else fails, use the "BANG HEAD HERE" Stress relief/reef tool.

: D

hth

bangheadhere.jpg

EDIT... damn my grammar is horrible... musst get .. slleeeeeepppp ZZZZ

My aiptasia farm was obliterated by one of them berghia nudis. EXTREMELY ugly little guy, but very effective. Devours them aiptasia after lights out. Unfortunately, when food's gone, they're gone. (Mine disappeared soon after he wiped out the aiptasia).

No Aiptasia cannot be beaten

Resistence if futile.

Who would have ever thought that phrase could be sexy, just goes to show you what a 6' Amazon can do!

try putting the infested rock one by one into a separate tank with only the shrimp. Don't feed that tank -- the peppermints will get hungry, eat the aiptasia, you switch rocks, one by one all the little stingy dudes die.

That's what worked for me....

However, I think removing the rocks from the main tank also helped start my cyano bloom. Make sure you cut down on feeding in your tank when you do this!

thanks dave for the target to bang my head on. the wall ive been using is about to fall down. im gonna try a pep from another store and see if he will eat them. also im gonna try to kill the big ones, although none of the little ones have disappeared either. i hope that works for my girlfriends tank. as for mine im screwed because my ocellaris kills shrimp when i put them in the tank. thanks for the help.

I have never not killed an aptasia using an injection of liquid calcium w/ a hypodermic needle- i have done it over 30 tiles in various tanks and it killed them the first time

Archived