Cultivated Reef

Top off question

MVS

I have my 6g NC up and running for almost 4 months now and honestly, really haven’t being doing much topping-off. I do weekly water changes and test the SG level with a refactometer. Occasionally, I top off with distilled water by adding roughly half a cup over a 1/2hr period.

Does anyone foresee any problems with this procedure?

Also, is anyone is using a top-off system on a six gallon cube, if so can you please let me know what system you’re using; pictures would be a +!

Thanks!

I feel the smaller the tank the more important it is to keep the SG steady. I have a pump powered ATO on my 24g Cube. On my 2 2.5g tanks though, I just use a drip system. I just use a 16oz bottle and a plastic air valve. I adjust the drip rate to (hopefully) match the evap.

ATO.jpg

Great idea; if you don’t mine me asking, what type of values are they and how many drips are you using per sec, per minute, etc?

Also, how are you hiding the the container?

What about everyone else, any specific strategy?

Yeah that’s what I was thinking. Just out of curiosity, how is everyone else handling their top-offs? I was thinking of getting something that’s powered by a pump and using some switch mechanism. Just don’t know how it would work with a 6g NC and if it’s worth the effort. I mean, it’s not too challenging to top-off when need be.

Thanks!

So I guess it's not a problem to slowly add back FW that's been displaced, assuming it's not a large quantity.

I’ve seen some interesting kit’s from a website, I believe its called californiareefs.com. Just curious if anyone was using such a system with their 6g NC.

I dump in ~250-500ml all at once into my 5.5g every day.

Of course, the amount I dump depends on how much as evaporated.

EDIT: Assuming my LR takes up about 33% of the tank volume, 500ml is ~3.6% of my tank's water volume.

I dump in ~250-500ml all at once into my 5.5g every day.

Of course, the amount I dump depends on how much as evaporated.

EDIT: Assuming my LR takes up about 33% of the tank volume, 500ml is ~3.6% of my tank's water volume.

you heat it up first right? since dumping 500ml of water in your tank can cause the temp to change

.0357, it's always best to round off by 4 decimal places; really I’m just kidding but thanks for the response.

I guess I'll continue toping off the old fashioned way as well.

If anyone comes across this post and has a 6g NC using a powered system, please let me know.

Thanks again

... dumping 500ml of water in your tank can cause the temp to change

No crap. ;)

No, I don't heat it up. Its room-temp, but nobody's complained yet.

I only need to top off my Nano 6 once a week as I have very little evaporaton and no swings in salinity (I measure my salinity daily). My setup is completely stock.

I guess there’s really no detrimental effects with just toping of as needed with distilled water. Great, I’ll just continue with the same old fashion method.

Thanks

I have my 6g NC up and running for almost 4 months now and honestly, really haven’t being doing much topping-off. I do weekly water changes and test the SG level with a refactometer. Occasionally, I top off with distilled water by adding roughly half a cup over a 1/2hr period.

Does anyone foresee any problems with this procedure?

Thanks!

Biggest problem I see is that the top off you do is 29 mins and 50secs longer than it should be. 4oz of water in a 5g tank is nothing. Just pour it in one of the back chambers. Also, is it possible to use RO/DI water instead of distilled?

I do not use an ATO on my NC6, and do twice weekly water changes with NSW. I am the ATO I guess. The RO/DI water I use is minimal, and I actually think an ATO unit would lower my SG. I simply mark the evap line with a crayon, pour in my NSW, then add the RO/DI. Measuring my SG over time, I have noted that I need to add NSW to just slightly past the mark I made on the glass in order to not lower the SG (keeping SG at 1.024-5 though).

Temp will dip to maybe 1 degree as I keep my water change / top off at ambient temperature. A larger water change I will split into two pours spaced 30+ minutes apart tomake sure I do not drop temp more than 2 degrees.

For a little bit over a year now I have been pouring in the top-off water (RO) into the first chamber... everything has been A - O.K.

you should be fine too

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the feedback.

Garf: Being that’s its only a six gallon cube I figured it would be more cost effective to just use distilled water; it’s .99 a gallon and I know the RO units plus the cartridges can easily go over several hundred dollars. I know that some people fear that there are companies who use pipes or other methods exposing the water to copper. I believe I once read an article here that mentioned that form of transportation is not fit for human consumption and was outlawed some time ago. Anyway, I haven’t seem to notice a problem. Maybe one day I’ll pick up a test kit just to ensure the safety.

Thanks again for responses.

Archived