Pod Your Reef

Warning to beginners about algae

Llamaguy

When you tank goes though an algae outbreak, and it will, don't kill it too fast by using chempure, etc and phosphate removers. Cause if it dies, nothing will eat it and you have to manually remove all of it or wait for it to rot=long time.

It is much better to buy a bunch of snails and hermits to eat the algae and turn it into poo, than to have dead algae all over the tank.

Wow really? Because I've got the exact thing happening. My tank is approaching 4 weeks and I've got nothing but LR and algae in it(plus the chemipure/purigen). So when it dies it wont just kinda disolve? I was under the impression it would just fade away over time.

I really wanted to see if it would just dissapate without adding anything, I'd like to let the tank mature about 2 months before adding even a cleaning crew.

Advice would be great, thanks.

Regards,

Pic

I started puting the cleanup crew in after about 3 weeks when the algae became unbareable. I just added 1-2 every week to make sure they didn't just keel over.

It also made sure that I wasn't wasting my time and the water was poisoned somehow, but I was parenoid.

But no, the algae will only rot, especially if its in mats.

"But no, the algae will only rot, especially if its in mats."

Well now that kinda sucks, looks like I need to get me some snails.

Regards,

Pic

When i was new i tossed in hermits right away, after only days of cycling - they did just fine... not that i recommend it, just saying that they seemed to be pretty hardy, and probably helped the tank cycle

Do we feed snails and crabs and cleaner shrimp? OR do they just eat waste?

Cuz I feel bad, my tank is at zeroes ammonia and nitrites, but 10 ppm nitrates....so i added clean up crew and then realized i have no algae for them to eat.

No, it's much better to just remove as much of the algae yourself, rather than let it die off or buying a algae eating crew. Then focus on correcting the problems that led to the outbreak in the first place.

Archived