Innovative Marine Aquariums

Clam, Mollusk, Bearded Clam???

OxInYourBox

Sorry for the lack of quality on the pic. I'll try and get some better shots of it tonight. This is hanging under a ledge on my LR and has been growing a bit it seems. I guess it's getting light via the suspension method.:) The green (with crriscrossing red or brown) is more vivid than the pic shows. It reacts to my presence like a clam i.e. closing up. Any ideas or questions?

URO.jpg

it looks like Barney the purple dinosaur. Two big eyes and a smile. Now I'm scared.

Can't really tell what you are looking at, unless Barney is the actual critter that needs id'ing. It could be an oyster or a clam of some sort if it closes when you touch it. Does it have a hard shell? If not, it might be a tunicate of some kind.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA !

Crakuer. I seen that a split second before yer reply thought the same HAHAHAHAA TFF

Its a simple bivalve clam. they filter feed and are quite hearty.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I might bump this up a bit.....The one I found today is about 1/2" and purple colored like the above pic. It was attached to a piece of rock pretty tight. I took it off to get a better look. It is shaped like a mini- mussel. It has little hairs?? on the edge of the upper and lower shells. It opens up a bit when left alone. Maybe 1/4" or so. It looks creamy colored or yellow inside. I have no idea how long its been in my tank. Just found it today. I'll try to gedt a pic when I have access to a camera again. Are these real common hitchhikers ??

Archived