Innovative Marine Aquariums

Fine particles in water?

drpresto

I removed my sponges to prevent the nitrates but now I'm getting real fine particles in the tank. Any way to filter these out without the nitrate trap?

Buy some filter floss from Walmart or a fabric store and change it out every time you do a water change.

Filter floss = polyester pillow fill that has not been chemically treated.

You can get a large bag of it for ~$2 where I live. The amount that comes in the bag will easily last for a year or more.

Small particulate matter will be useful for your filter feeders. I have it in my tank and my filter feeders and micro brittle stars have ben multiplying like crazy.

One Eyed Bunny

I recently tried filter floss and it does work. There is still some fine sediment floating around, however, I've noticed a good 75% reduction in the amount floating around in the water after switching to filter floss.

There is still some fine sediment floating around...

IME, it depends on how much of the material the water must pass through.

I place it where most/all of the water moving through my AC70 must pass through it, and I can get reasonably good extraction with about 1" thickness of compacted material. I can do much better if I make it thicker.

How does this filter floss work? Where does it go ? In your filter? like the sponges used to go?

Also I just bought a FLuval 405 hoefully its a good one.

One Eyed Bunny

From my understand it's simply a sponge that's disposable and as you make the sponge more dense it can collect finer particles unlike your stanard 1 - 2mm sponges. It just makes clean up easier as well as traps sediment significantly better than a sponge.

I'll try making the floss more dense, I just don't want to obstruct the water flow anymore than it already is, even though it is minimal.

Filter floss works great. I use it for water polishing on my freshwater tanks.

It works like a micron sock, sponge. It's that is much much cheaper.

Like Mr. Fosi said go to walmart or once of them craft shop and buy a bag for like $2. i will last you a long time.

• 2 weeks later...
non-photosynt

The only thing that worked for my 20 gal tank, is Quick Filter attachment for AquaClear powerhead, but filtering pad should be changed frequently (in my case weekly). I tried Marineland floss in AC50 - it's too fine, water can't go through, bypasses it.

Archived