Pod Your Reef

Web-like cocoon

reefpeace

I keep seeing these "tubes" on or bridging between my rocks. The are almost cocoon like in appearance and are covered in what looks almost like substrate material - although I'm sure it is not. They seem to come and go over the course of a few weeks. What is living inside of these tubes - am I hatching something :huh: ?

post-17519-1142825766_thumb.jpg

I had a jello like mass that looked something like that, with all the tubes etc.

A week or so later I had a big bunch of sea squirts there. Not saying that lots of stuff doesn't make something like that, but that's what I ended up with.

The coccon looks like a sedimentary polycheat Anillidae>polycheatae subclass sedimentarae if i remember right. watch it at night for opaq tenticles coming from it. I have many like this in my tanks they usually are simular to speghitti worms.

The coccon looks like a sedimentary polycheat Anillidae>polycheatae subclass sedimentarae if i remember right. watch it at night for opaq tenticles coming from it. I have many like this in my tanks they usually are simular to speghitti worms.

Thanks draethan and welcome :welcome: to NR. I will take a look in the dark tonight.

Thanks draethan and welcome :welcome: to NR. I will take a look in the dark tonight.

Thanks IDing is what i love doing. Its been a while since I have IDed organisms but I am well versed in IDing most invertebrates

post-17519-1142825766_thumb.jpg

I have those too, hay what is the coral in the upper left corner?

I have some of that as a hitchhiker on my frogspawn but im not sure if i can or should move it -_-

• 9 months later...

I am looking for any more opinions out there on this old ID I put out. I have discovered that almost any coral that is placed on this rock will wither away and die. The common thread is that one of these cocoons always appears and seems to aggravate whatever is placed on the rock. I have another picture showing how a small frag of Xenia is being 'attacked' :ninja:.

post-17519-1169394316_thumb.jpg

Archived