Pod Your Reef

can i keep LPS?

Sea_Of_Treachery

Sea_Of_Treachery

im pretty sure i can keep all softies, just worried about LPS having enought light. i got the 24g aquapod 2 X 32w PC so only 64w total. any LPS?

brent-konieczny

If you put them very high up I would say trumpet, candy cane, or blastos. Depends on high you stacked your rock. I wouldn't go more than about 9" away from the light.

I have to disagree with the two comments above.

You can put most LPS anyhwere you want to in that tank. I've kept most of my LPS at the bottom of my 15 which was 18" deep and had only 36w of PC on it.

You're fine.

i keep shrooms, polyps, LPS and SPS under a total of 30w and they are all thriving. allthou i am not shure if there is anything special with the arcadia tubes i use

I've had a hammer in my 24 aquapod (the normal stock system) for 3 months and the things branching and growing and I can't find my cat.

firefishbrain

you can keep them, candies do like the higher light, but my two heads at the bottom of my nc og have not died yet and have actually puffed up saince moving them down from a higher posistion, same with my frogspawn (which are in the same family as torch and hammer) (not as a dramatic movedown though). blasto's, and open brains, they like it at the bottom in the sand, me have many baby blasto's under my bigger ones.

i want to try and keep candy cane, torch, hammer, and an open brain, if at all possible

All those should do fine in your tank. you are pretty much cool with alot of the lps out there. just keep those water params good and you will be fine

I agree with everyone here....LPS have the same lighting requirements as shrooms and zoas in my book...Ive kept LPS in lighting lower than what you have and they did fine....

BTW: Candycane do not like higher light....The lower I put my neon gree Chronic candy the more intense the color gets...

ReefApprentice

can i kepp LPS in my 60g with 130w of PC? The tank is 18" btw and there is a rock 4 in. from the light.

Thanks

I believe there are alot of factors involved. Depth in the tank depicts how much PAR it will receive and water clarity will affect how well it can penetrate. Carbon can help clarity. Larger wattage PCs put out more PAR then smaller ones, so a bulb that has twice the wattage will usually result in more PAR then two half of it's size. Metal halide is usually always a good investment, but you can get by w/ PCs too, but keep in mind they will never be capable of putting out as much light despite the wattages.

LOL yes I would say all LPS that 64W of light acually is 50 percent more than JBJs 72W because of quality of the reflector and bulb you are fine heck I have LPS in my sand

Archived