Coral Vue Hydros

bubble anemome questions

Reef-r-madness5150

Reef-r-madness5150

I have a 12 gallon Nano and was wondering if it's possible to have bubble anenome in there without much trouble. Are there any secial nutrients i'd need to add to the water or special lighting? How long should i keep the lights on?

RayWhisperer

You'd need to retro fit alot more lighting and the tank needs to be well established w/ pristine water conditions.

I'd say 70 -100 watts PC would do for a BTA in a 12.

A Bubble Tip in a 12 is not a good idea. Success in regards to corals and anemones is realative. Could keeping a puppy alive in a crate for a few years be considered a success?

ReefApprentice

I have seen anemone's in 12's all the time. Just take care of water parameters. 48w would be enough. Feeding is just as important as lighting remember, and variety is the spice of life. Tehhee. Go for it but with caution.

Seeing them in 12's all the time is exactly the problem though. New comers to the hobby see these things and start getting crazy ideas. Anemones already have a top position on the High Mortality Rate chart, placing them in a bad situation from the start can make things worse. I'm not trying to argue here, just trying to promote responsibility. I've worked in the industry for over 12 years now and I've seen how close we've come to not being able to collect some of these animals that we love to keep.

ReefApprentice

I agree. Since they don't move all that much the only reason they need a bigger tank is for water qualities. (correct me if i am wrong) If someone can be sure to kep water good then why not?

I can certainly see your point, but I just can't see one reaching potential in such a small tank. I often look at my 30 cube and think of how cool a nice Rose Bubble would look in there, then I think of my friend John's rose in his 65 that covered about the whole top right quarter of the tank and housed 7 ocellaris clowns in its' tentacles and a pair of cleaner shrimp next to its' basal disk. I know that I could start small, but if I'm caring for the tank properly it'll outgrow my tank in about 6 month's. Also, what if it get's upset when I replace my bulbs? There goes the 30 Gallon neighborhood!

Please remove the apostrophe from yer keyboard, FishTechNH. :)

But I do agree with you. 12 gallons and 48 watts is *NOT* enough.

Archived