Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

.2 gallon reef experiment

melbourne

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, not much to report on the tank other than daily top-offs. The brown diatom bloom has not appeared yet. Water params still look good but I'm still expecting a small cycle. Once thats complete I'm going to do a partial water change and think about stocking. The airlift has clogged 3 times already with small bits of rubble getting sucked in.

• 2 weeks later...

Tank update

Tank has cycled - still have a bit of diatom bloom left on the sand bed. Added in some bubble algae and 2 zoa polyps will see how they do. Circulation is not the best but I'm going to see if I can run with what I have. Sand bed is starting to get colonized. Once the tank clears up I'll decide what other items to stock with.

FTS 4-5-6

FTSpico4-5-06.jpg

How about some micro brittle stars? Is it too small even for a sexy shrimp? Some tunicates or bivalves of some sort would be a cool addition if you can get them...?

How are you lighting the tank?

Ben

How about some micro brittle stars? Is it too small even for a sexy shrimp? Some tunicates or bivalves of some sort would be a cool addition if you can get them...?

How are you lighting the tank?

Ben

Tank is lit by a Azoo Galaxy 13w PC lamp with a 50/50 bulb. As for livestock probably going to stick with maybe one or two baby cerith's and corals and macro/pods. I have tons of micro brittle stars in my other tanks but you generally don't see them much and I think the ceriths will do a better job at cleaning the tank.

Thanks, great pic of the tank with a tang :) I doubt I could even keep a neon gobie in this tank its so small. Once I get a feel for how stable this tank is I'll see if I can do something crazy - although I promise no tang :)

Micro stars seem to reproduce in my tanks but I don't know how often / much. I probably have about 800 lbs of LR between all my tanks so thats plenty of space for them to breed/grow out. I have ceriths reproducing also which is pretty cool.

Very cool. Excellent job with the airlift tube wrap. Looks like this will be an interesting project as far as stocking and stability goes. Good luck and, good idea.

Thanks,

Tank update - added in a micro blue leg to help clean up the tank a bit. I also placed two Seachem Matrix Carbon balls behind the macro algae on the right, and one small ball of Phosguard. I found the Seachem Seagel product worked well in my 2.5g so I thought the added benefit of some chemical filtration would not hurt this small tank. Another nice thing about matrix is that its not suppose to effect PH and its not dusty like normal carbon and the round compact form makes it easy to place/replace on a periodic basis.

FTS 04-08-06

FTS_femto_04_08_06.jpg

Little hermit at work

micro_hermit040806.jpg

A days progress

hermit_good_job_04_08_06.jpg

Macro rock also holds the Seachem Seagel

macro_04_08_06.jpg

Hermit's Mount Everest

arch_04_08_06.jpg

Picture of a Seachem Matrix Carbon ball next to air input for tank

GAC_04_08_06.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

That's a very cool tank. Makes me want to do one.

Maybe some very small Zoo's. Or Xenia.

I'm excited to see how it does over time.

Just curious, would it not be possible to make a fully self-sufficient "tank" like this? I guess you probably wouldn't be able to have any sort of flow, but they have those little bio-ball things that probably hold this much water. Water changes and stuff might not be a problem if you get a proper mixture of things. Just a thought.

Really cool though.

Oh, could you run over exactly how this airlift thing works? I'm kind of confused about where the water comes in at to be lifted up. Is it just a standard air pump pushing air in? Is there a hole of something in the bottom of the U which lets in water that gets pushed up by the air in the tube? Lastly, why have you not made it so that the water exits horizontally across the top instead of shooting up? I would think it might bounce down off the walls this way and create a better flow.

Sorry for all the questions, just curious about cause I think it's a neat idea.

As far as livestock, I would suggest a few Nassarius snails. Those little buggers would look like giants in this tank, and they're always fun to watc with their little snout sniffing and feeling around.

Plus, they'd be too small for your hermit to want their shell.

They're great climbers and can right themselves very quickly.

They're great climbers and can right themselves very quickly.

I hate how my margaritas can never flip themselves over. I have to go around my tank almost every day with a long plastic rod and flip over my snails one by one, only to have them flip back over again later on.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived