inTank Media Baskets

Caribbean Cube

johnmauser

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
wow he looks kinda mean

They're totally harmless filter feeders. About the only thing they attack in a reef tank is the plankton. lol

Nice porcelain crab... I've not seen one that red.

Thanks, all the local "immigrant" porcelain crabs are red, some much redder than this one. I've seen several lately, but they're impossible to catch.

Haha.

Reminds me of Ft Lauderdale, my hometown.

I love it. =*

I've been to the aquarium you work at before, with school. It's very nice. ^^.

Haha.

Reminds me of Ft Lauderdale, my hometown.

I love it. =*

I've been to the aquarium you work at before, with school. It's very nice. ^^.

Wait until it reopens May 19th...it's going to be snazzy!

www.ncaquariums.com

• 2 weeks later...
johnmauser

Hi guys, sorry I haven't updated this post lately. Our aquarium is opening in a week and a half and I have been working 12 hour days. I figured I'd post a list of the livestock in the cube right now and I'll post some pics soon.

John

Purple gorgonian

Orange sea rod gorgonian

Yellow Gorgonian

Neon green zoa colony

metallic green zoa colony

chocolate zoa colony

8 ricordea florida

white striped flower anemone

chalk bass

harlequin serpent star

peppermint shrimp

porcelain crab

blue leg hermits

astrea snails

lettuce nudibranch

cowries

hair algae...no, not by choice

johnmauser
add an arrow crab!

Those guys worry me. We've got them at work and I can get them cheap but I've heard a few scarry stories about them. For example, eating soft corals and spearing small fish, both of which I have. They are cool though, we've got a giant one at work with a spread the size of a desert plate.

I've heard of them eating soft coral, but never heard of them spearing small fish. I used to have one with a really cool design on it's back and and a bright pink body. Just saw that they were from the caribbean and thought of your tank. Oh btw I just went on a caribbean cruise last week and went snorkeling. I saw some of those starcki damsels and lots of fire coral! Also tons of sea turtles but I don't think you'd be too intersted in keeping one of those. :)

johnmauser
Also tons of sea turtles but I don't think you'd be too intersted in keeping one of those. :)

Hmmm...a baby green turtle. He'd have plenty of room for the first month. :)

Daemonfly
add an arrow crab!

Why would he ever want to add an arrow crab?!

Anyway, looks great so far, and that sure is a pretty red porcelain. I'm partial to the blue striped types myself.

johnmauser

Okay, here are a few pics.

The chalk bass has become more friendly, spending most of his time in front of the window begging for food.

post-18851-1147221388_thumb.jpg

johnmauser

Chocolate brown zoanthid

post-18851-1147222215_thumb.jpg

Neon Green Zoanthid

post-18851-1147222332_thumb.jpg

Green Ricordea floridas

post-18851-1147222458_thumb.jpg

Orange Ricordea florida and blue leg hermit

post-18851-1147222545_thumb.jpg

Yellow gorgonian I fragged out of my mom's tank

post-18851-1147222633_thumb.jpg

Fishfreak218

i have a sea fan and its doing ok but certainly not thriving.. one problem is low flow which is soon to be fixed but do you have any tips for me?? also loving the rics and the chalck bass.. but i think we need a FTS :)

johnmauser
i have a sea fan and its doing ok but certainly not thriving.. one problem is low flow which is soon to be fixed but do you have any tips for me?? also loving the rics and the chalck bass.. but i think we need a FTS :)

Whussa FTS???

I have all of my gorgs in direct path of a powerhead. They seem to love it, I also occasonally feed them baby brine shrimp of cyclopeez...I'm sure bottled plankton would be fine too. Also watch out for brown algae that will try to grow on the gorgs if there's low flow, it will kill them. If you get algae growth on them, try a one minute FW bath.

Fishfreak218

thank you..ok.. well first off.. a FTS is a full tank shot :)

then ok well they will be infron of a powerhead soon.. and i do feed DT's and im gonna get the new reefblend b.c. it has more variety of species.. also wanna try oyster eggs.. no algea on them.. i have a gorgonian and a sea fan.. and the gorg is doing really good with alot of new growth.. but the sea fan is not doing so hot.. thank you

Fishfreak218

thanks.. looking good... i like how the gorgs give it dimension... nice.. just get rid of that HA and it'll look great

johnmauser
thanks.. looking good... i like how the gorgs give it dimension... nice.. just get rid of that HA and it'll look great

I'm working on it. I've yet to find anywhere around like culligan where I can fill big jugs with RO. Right noal I've changed from treated tap water to one gallon bottles of RO for water changes. It's a pain but the hair algae has already subsided quite a bit. Once we get the new RO unit running at the aquarium, I'll have plenty of free RO.

lookin good....but I think it is missing ONE thing that I always see in the carribean, a corky sea finger.

agreed...I'm planning a trip to the keys at the end of the summer, if I don't buy one before then, I'll find one while I'm down there. Hopefully, I'll find about a hundred ricordea too, lol.

audiocontrol

just out of curiousity, are you going to plant any seagrasses? When I used to go to Florida/Bahamas, there were always neat critters hiding in them like conch's, starfish, and even horseshoe crabs. I also remember seeing a pink tip anemone there.

Archived