Top Shelf Aquatics

Caribbean Cube

johnmauser

Great theme! I think you're off on the idea of it not being colorful. Some of the nicest stuff I have came from the carribean - there are lots of blue zoas from there!

I guess I was mainly talking about the Acropora and other sps when I made that comment. I've got the live rock in the tank now and I'll post a pic tonight. I've also put in an order for a pair of small gorgonians, some zoas, and a few rics that should be showing up Tuesday morning.

John

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chalk bass hiding behind rock

post-18851-1144366774_thumb.jpg

Chalk bass sneaking out for food

^Interesting choice... I like those guys... can you tell us a bit about it's personality (bold, shy, ect.) not many people keep those.

Looking good. Keep it up.

john, love the idea. I have been to that aquarium before. My family has been vacationing at Emerald Isle every year for 17 years now. Where did you catch the peppermints? I have only found fish off the beach, but never looked in the sound. There is some great fishing out of Morehead City, ever been?

Since it's illegal to collect any species of Acropora from the Caribbean (most notably A. cervicornis and A. palmata), were you planning on just using a Pacific species that is similar? I think any branching and brown/tan colored SPS would be a good substitute for cervicronis, but other than that, you'll have to stick with the softies and gorgs (which dominate most of the area, anyway). Don't forget all those great sponges and macroalgaes as well! MIght be worthwhile to throw a replica of a tube sponge in there as well: http://www.aquatouch.com/Living_Color/2003/lcpg0010.jpg

skylsdale...

you've got it dead on, I'm using pacific species of acro that have similar coloration and looks to the caribbean sp. everything else will be from the caribbean

BJK2...

I'll pm you

aquaman7...

about the chalk bass, I actually lucked up on him by accident. At our new aquarium, we will have two exhibits featuring tropicals that visit North Carolina. He acidentally came in one of our shipments from florida and since he's not found in NC, we couldn't display him. He's quite shy but he seems to be working his way out of it and becoming more curious. He hides out in the live rock but comes out at feeding tome. Besides being a really colorful fish, I really like the fact that he's supposed to be totally reef safe.

Okay, here's a few pics with the 20#'s of hatian live rock in it. This is the same rock as I have in my 50 gallon, which colored up unbelievably in 2 months. I can't wait to see how this rock looks in a few months under metal halides.

metal halide...I had to underexpose this photo so you could see the detail in the rock, the MH is a lot brighter

post-18851-1144643289_thumb.jpg

blue and white led's

post-18851-1144643312_thumb.jpg

blue led's

post-18851-1144643329_thumb.jpg

john, I just bought 2 of those lights for my 55 gallon reef that I'm setting up. How high is your light from the water surface and do you have any heat problems? Also do you use a glass cover? Thanks.

The light sits about 4" above the water with the standard legs. It will also come with ceiling hangers. I had the heater turned all the way down to 75 and the water temp was staying at 81-83 with the glass top on. I finally took it off yesterday and the tank is staying at the same temp as the heater now. I was afraid of my fish and shrimp jumping out but it was really baking with the glass on, so it had to go.

john, I just bought 2 of those lights for my 55 gallon reef that I'm setting up. How high is your light from the water surface and do you have any heat problems? Also do you use a glass cover? Thanks.

Well I got my first batch of softies in today.

Orange sea rod gorgonian

Purple gorgonian

Neon Green Zoanthid cluster

Chocolate brown zoanthid cluster

Blue ricordea florida

orange ricordea florida

a few neon blue zoanthid polyps

small harlequin starfish (okay, so he's not a coral)

I'm also holding a purple gorg, an orange gorg, and a purple/green ric for my mom in the tank.

These guys have acclimated really well since I put them in at noon today. Tomorrow, when they're fully open, I'll take some pics and post.

John

okay, here are some pics

Tank without flash

post-18851-1144895271_thumb.jpg

A little closer

post-18851-1144895295_thumb.jpg

Neon Green Zoanthid-it's much brighter, I need to get one with the flash, it also glows with the blue leds

post-18851-1144895328_thumb.jpg

Chocolate Zoanthid-no flash

post-18851-1144895348_thumb.jpg

This is so good looking! With those gorgonians in there, I can really start to see what direction this is going in. Where did you get them, if I may ask?

At work I care for jellyfish, so I just bring home some leftover jelly food occasionally. Newly hatched, enriched brine shrimp and cyclopeez.

John

how are you feeding the gorgonians? they look awesome!

aquaman7...

about the chalk bass, I actually lucked up on him by accident. At our new aquarium, we will have two exhibits featuring tropicals that visit North Carolina. He acidentally came in one of our shipments from florida and since he's not found in NC, we couldn't display him. He's quite shy but he seems to be working his way out of it and becoming more curious. He hides out in the live rock but comes out at feeding tome. Besides being a really colorful fish, I really like the fact that he's supposed to be totally reef safe.

Very cool. I take it they stay relatively small as well. Your tank's coming along nicely... keep it up.

Yeah, the chalk bass aren't supposed to get over 2". Thanks for the compliments on the tank, I added another peppermint shrimp (big and full of eggs) that I caught tonight. The tank is going to get a lot better so stay tuned!

John

Very cool. I take it they stay relatively small as well. Your tank's coming along nicely... keep it up.

My friend caught a porcelain crab last night and so generously donated it to my cause. He's acclimating right now so here's a pic of him in a container. He's huge for a porcelain, a good two inches from elbow to elbow. I've got a shipment of cool stuff showing up tomorrow, I'll post once I get it in the tank.

John

post-18851-1145921555_thumb.jpg

Archived