inTank Media Baskets

Is a black background better than a blue one?

travisurfer

Which do you prefer?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like black or blue?

• Black
    • Blue
    • Other

i chose black on my new tank, the blue looked too cheap to me. funny thing is with blue actinic lights on, the black looks blue, got the best of both worlds!

lanceleaderx
So Ive decided to paint my tank. What color should I pick? Just wondering what you guys like best.

me too, :D since i already hav silver, i think i would try it ~ :lol:

you guys are High-larious. Black seems to be the functional colour to use not to mention it is the "in colour" right now.

You don't have to paint it... just get a piece of opaque acrylic backs against the back wall. I'm doing that. And I can interchange my background colors much like a Swatch watch strap.

i vote for blue. i had black on my old tank and im glad i made a change to blue when i did the upgrade. the black makes the tank look too dull and dark, i like bright happy tanks :D

DSC04635.jpg

Duncan has the best idea with the inter-changeabllity, I switch everything once in a while on my tanks. I use a background that has one side black, the other very dark blue. I like the dark blue color because it gives the contrast of black without being so dark.

what about white for a background? would that be a bad idea?

thats fine as long as you keep the background very clean or else you will be able to see anything on the back: coraline, algae, and others

thanks semi ^_^

when i had black i never cleaned the back of my tank and it still looked clean so yeah if you're lazy i say go black, cause when my blue gets dirty it bugs the hell out of me but once its clean it looks so much better than black

I like black, but lately I have been making these for mine and my friends tanks. They can be applied with tape or mounted to a piece of glass or plexi and butted up against the back of the tank.

I can make custom sized ones, they are it bit pricey to make as I have to print them on a large format printer and the plastic material is expensive, but I'd be glad to make people some. Message me for a quote if interested.

post-16656-1142710249_thumb.jpgpost-16656-1142710263_thumb.jpgpost-16656-1142710277_thumb.jpgpost-16656-1142710291_thumb.jpg

travisurfer

i like the idea of the acrylic. wouldnt that be the same as one of those cheap plastic sheets from your lfs though?

and what about one of those light greenish/blue backgrounds?

I see a red door and I want it painted black

No colors anymore I want them to turn black

I see the girls walk by dressed in their summer clothes

I have to turn my head until my darkness goes

I see a line of cars and they're all painted black

With flowers and my love both never to come back

I see people turn their heads and quickly look away

Like a new born baby it just happens ev'ry day

I look inside myself and see my heart is black

I see my red door and it has been painted black

Maybe then I'll fade away and not have to face the facts

It's not easy facin' up when your whole world is black

No more will my green sea go turn a deeper blue

I could not foresee this thing happening to you

If I look hard enough into the settin' sun

My love will laugh with me before the mornin' comes

I see a red door and I want it painted black

No colors anymore I want them to turn black

I see the girls walk by dressed in their summer clothes

I have to turn my head until my darkness goes

Hmm, hmm, hmm,...

I wanna see it painted, painted black

Black as night, black as coal

I wanna see the sun blotted out from the sky

I wanna see it painted, painted, painted, painted black

Yeah!

^(just posted this the other day to someone tryin' to decide)

I'd take the Stone's advice and paint it black.

My current tank has a blue background, and it definitely looks great and bright when it's clean, but I've noticed a downside. Since our aquarium lights have a lot of the "blue" part of the spectrum, the combination of that with a blue background seems to make everything very blue, and this seems to wash colors out. I'm upgrading to a 29 sometime in the (hopefully) near future, and I have already painted the background black. Interchangeability, as described above, would be nice but the focal point of your tank should center upon the stuff that's in front of the blue or black paint.

travisurfer

im going to go with black. i have rust-oleum gloss protective enamel and rust-oleum american accents in black. is gloss or flat black better? and will these paints work, or should i pick up something else?

neanderthalman

I'd go with the krylon fusion, it's specifically made to stick to high-gloss surfaces like glass and plastic. Other paints are more likely to chip and flake.

Edit - it doesn't matter if you choose flat black or gloss black, it'll look glossy because of the glossy glass surface.

travisurfer

could i do a couple light coats all in the same day and bring it back upstairs later in the day. i could do it in like 12 hrs. would this work?

Archived