Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

2 Requests ! Jellyfish ? Small Brittle Star?

hyoctane

What in the world are these things ? I have never heard of jellyfish hitch hiking along from LR or Chaeto -- but who knows ? They are nearly impossible to get pictures of, so I will have to paint a verbal picture: They are small and are shaped like an inverted thimble, about the size of a BB. They seem to "thrust" like a thimble shaped jelly.. and they just cruise along in the current. I have counted 2 at most.. so I have no clue. They are clear and the bottom of their "thimble" shape has some white dots... I'm at a loss.... Also, I have some white "snow flake" looking brittle stars all over the glass of my NC. What are they.. ? It's not salt creep, or algae... I dont know what that is either. Oh well.. maybe you all can help.

BTW: 6G NC, stock lighting and pump, 7lbs LS, 6lbs LR in display, Filter Floss/Purigen/SeaGel in Chamber 1, Mini fuge w/ Chaeto/1lb LR Rubble and exterior Azoo palm CF lighting, Heater and pump in Chamber 3. Overflow surface skimmer, 80F, 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrates, 0 Nitrites, 8.0 PH, 400 Calcium, 1.020 Salt.... 3 weeks old and completed cycle. No Livestock yet (cleanup crew this weekend) just in case you ask!

I appriciate your help guys !

Here is a picture of the starfish/snowflake thing... (I adjusted it in PS for clarity)

nc-whats-this.jpg

Now, if these do turn out to be jellys, are they harmful ? And secondly -- is that "flatworm" critter harmful.. ? It's not like a worm at all, its a thimble shaped looking jelly as you would see snorkeling in the keys or in Grand Cayman (but smaller.. much smaller..)

Thanks for the instant replys !

SaltwaterGoldfish?

The pic is of a common Hydroid... they appear to have a medusa stage as well, which would likely be what you're seeing floating around in the currents...

I've been scouring the internet trying to get an ID on a species name for these... anyone know it? [looks in Diane's direction]

Cheers,

Joe

I dont believe Id's can be made on medusa saged organisms but they are most likely not jellyfish and most likely a hydrozoan, hydra in included here.

I Take Pictures

So what are we supposed to do about these things, are they harmful? Ive noticed some in my tank also. Also do these little guy also grow of LR? Ive got some other little guys that have the same shape as these hydroids except they stick out of rock and almost look like feather dusters.

Archived