Coral Vue Hydros

mandarin question?

james5593

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2
if your crab did that before and you still decided to take your chances with a mandarin you were very ignorant. even after overlooking the specific requirements of keeping the mandarin you should still have a good idea of compatibility with other inhabitants of your tank. thats called responsibility.

its almost like keeping a hungry turtle and a fat goldfish in a small bowl.

wish i had a nickle for every person, lfs owner, forum member thats told me emerald crabs are reef safe. who's really the ignorant one? :)

if you do decide to get another. look for one that does eat frozen foods in the store. get rid of the crab, build up the pods. (they can be cultured very easily/cheaply) and offer him a variety foods, cyclopeeze,rotifers, mysis, plankton, etc etc.

once in a while treat them with live foods. (if you cant get any, buy a piece of new rock or macro algae from a well establised tank)

i think alot more of these beautiful fish would live happy lifes, if more info were available.

search mandarin, you'll find a hundred posts, that say "now your gonna burn in hell!" and a few really helpful threads. :)

this one started negitively, but its taking a turn for the better.

lets face it its hard to resist such a beautiful fish, when your lfs owner is telling you how perfect it is for your tank! :)

Helfrichs Chick

I know its past the point here but for anyone still interested Ocean Rider has a seahorse suppliment called vibrance... you can gut load your brine with it and even just soak them in it,... its a powder form will give them many vit. and enhance their color. I use it for my Hi fins and red head goby once in a while. I worked at the best LFS in Phoenix, its ONLY salt water and AMAZING shop, we used it to help with harder to feed fish. Works great. Sorry to hear about your little fish, ALSO IMO emerald crabs are reef safe UNLESS they have no food!!!!! (granted there are always the excepitions like all animals) Keep in mind they need to eat just like you and I, and in a nano they may run out of algea, or may only eat a certain kind not present in your tank, so he is starving to death and a big meal swims by...... I would nab it too. I had 3 emeralds in my 46 and fed them once a week with tongs and some fish food. seemed to keep them happy and I never lost a fish.

if your crab did that before and you still decided to take your chances with a mandarin you were very ignorant. even after overlooking the specific requirements of keeping the mandarin you should still have a good idea of compatibility with other inhabitants of your tank. thats called responsibility.

its almost like keeping a hungry turtle and a fat goldfish in a small bowl.

I guess your correct in saying that I took my chances but I am not ignorant. The fact of the matter is that even in some cases what appears to be the most compatible sometimes proves to be just the opposite and the same is true the other way. Sometimes wild animals react differently no matter how timid or aggresive they may be(dogs,cats,birds,fish,etc). As i have said I also have a perculla that will go next to the crab and never have any problems. None the less I think I am going to get rid of the crab and my camel shrimp because of how they react mainly to my corals. They both have outgrown the tank and need more space to survive. As far as responsibility I am willing to bet that all of us have some captive coral in our tanks or even fish that caught by some kid with a net getting paid 25 cents an hour. The point is that we are all hipocrits including yourself and not responsible.

wish i had a nickle for every person, lfs owner, forum member thats told me emerald crabs are reef safe. who's really the ignorant one? :)

if you do decide to get another. look for one that does eat frozen foods in the store. get rid of the crab, build up the pods. (they can be cultured very easily/cheaply) and offer him a variety foods, cyclopeeze,rotifers, mysis, plankton, etc etc.

once in a while treat them with live foods. (if you cant get any, buy a piece of new rock or macro algae from a well establised tank)

i think alot more of these beautiful fish would live happy lifes, if more info were available.

search mandarin, you'll find a hundred posts, that say "now your gonna burn in hell!" and a few really helpful threads. :)

this one started negitively, but its taking a turn for the better.

lets face it its hard to resist such a beautiful fish, when your lfs owner is telling you how perfect it is for your tank! :)

I think at some point in time I will get another mandarin but probably not until I set up a bigger tank.. The more I think about it the more I realize that some fish do need more than others (as far as space and attention). I guess thats why some fish are refered to as entry level or beginner level and others as advanced. Thanks for your help an suggestions.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

i've had 2 in a 30 tall (100lbs of lr,10g sump) for 15months. both very happy well cared for fish

:)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived