Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

converting my freshwater into salt do I have to cycle?

vanessa

I want to convert my 10 gallon freshwater into a saltwater tank...I was going to remove everything and add live sand and live rock to the water that is already in there once I add salt and get specific gravity. Do I still have to cycle the tank if the freshwater has already been up and running for months? Thanks for any info. Vanessa

1. take out everything... substrate, rocks, plants... everything so there's just the water

2. do a 98% water change with mixed SW

3. add LR and LS etc.

4. ditch your FW filter gizmos

HTH... not.:| :| :|

In the interest of protecting your future livestock, I'd like to point out that what adin was trying to say, with a very healthy dose of sarcasm, is that you don't want to use your freshwater, nor any of your freshwater paraphenelia, with the exception of your tank.

Yes, you'll still have to wait for the cycle. As for lighting, do a search. check member's tanks. Plenty of people have 10's, and you can see what's working for them.

Lets start from the top -

Glad you decided to try your hand at reefing. First and foremost, reefing is a very demanding hobby. Its nothing like Freshwater tanks. You must devote time, money and lots of READING to be successful. If you lack either one of these, please reconsider.

If you would like to continue, please read the following:

1 - When converting a tank, don't try to "butt" ahead in the line because it will get you nowhere fast and cause you all sorts of headaches and problems, hence - Either start fresh or don't do it at all. Empty your FW tank and clean it out with some tap water. Let it dry real good and start from there.

2 - READ READ READ READ READ READ READ READ READ READ READ READ READ READ

3 - READ SOME MORE

4 - If you have questions - ASK!

5 - Plan, start writing down what you want to keep - what types of materials you will need - lights, pumps, sand, rock, filter etc etc.

6 - GET ALL YOUR ITEMS FIRST!! Also, get the most lighting you can afford or get what you need to keep the corals you would like to keep.

7 - Setup your tank and let it cycle - a cycle lasts anywhere from 1-2 weeks up to 4 weeks.

If you make it this far or decide to continue - good job. You should be happy you did it RIGHT instead of half ass. Once you reach your cycle/end of cycle mark - ask MORE QUESTIONS. There is nothing wrong with asking lots of questions - its better than replacing livestock that dies day in and day out.

There is nothing worse than an UNINFORMED hobbyist!

Now is the time to ask more questions - take it slow and the rewards will be great - rush and everything will be lost.

Good Luck!

i don't think she needs to toss her filters. i wouldn't suggest a UG tho but the hob's can be cleaned out, change the cartridges for new ones of course. :

i agree with tossing everything else out and cleaning the tank. you have to cycle all over again (no short cuts here ;) ). it's a bit different here in the marines. :D welcome!

Nah....it's a LOT like freshwater...only a million times more so! You can be sloppy with fresh...not so much with salt.

Vanessa, it's easiest to empty your tank, rinse well, refill with distilled water, mix salt, add rock/sand, and cycle away. Freshwater bacteria will not survive in salt, so yes you have to start over. You won't need your fw filter for the salt tank, so just get a powerhead and save the filter for the next time you want some guppies ;).

Beleive it or not, the rock is often the most interesting thing you put in your tank. All kinds of animals and plants and bugs will crawl up out of it, and you'll drive yourself crazy figuring out if they're the good guys or the bad guys. (My advice; don't kill anything unles you know for a fact it's evil.)

Archived