Coral Vue Hydros

I.D. PLEASE.

Tony

this has been growning off of the rock in my pico tank and it's growing fast. looks like a round flower petal or an elephant ear shape ? The spotted thing not the Zoo.

weird.jpg

LOL. I hate the reflection from the office lights. It's ok but it's not mine it belongs to the Eng. department at work. My girlfriends Canon works better for moving objects like my fish. Really hard for me to get a good FTS with either one. Did you ever find out what your unknown inhabitant is.

SaltwaterGoldfish?

I'm inclined to say macroalgae... something like Padina or Lobophora...get a better pic... doesn't strike me as being sponge-esque from the pic... but it's hard to tell from that pic

One Eyed Bunny
LOL. I hate the reflection from the office lights. It's ok but it's not mine it belongs to the Eng. department at work. My girlfriends Canon works better for moving objects like my fish. Really hard for me to get a good FTS with either one. Did you ever find out what your unknown inhabitant is.

Yours still seems to take a better picture than mine.

And, no, noone has really ID'd mine except for a possible guess that its a sponge. I'm gonna check out sponges now on google and maybe try to see if it is a sponge.

usually I would not ask because you can find info on just about anything on the web but I haven't found anything that looks like this. I fuguered some sort of algae but wasnt sure what kind. On the same rock I've got dragons breath algae growing like weed.

If it is indeed a sponge there should be incurrent pores and in its case many outcurrent pores. if you slice the organism and it has many channels and 2 layers of flesh then it is a sponge otherwise i would be inclined to believe it is a macroalgae or a coralline algae. Describe it to us is it flexable or hard. does it have pores? does it close up when touched? does it seem to have a smooth texture?

you know I will have to take a look because I did cut it off off the rock it was beginning to shade the whole left side of my tank. I kept it so I will have to take a look. I also had some dragons breath alae growing like mad in the pico and had to take it out due to overgrowth, I hope it does just as well in my other tank.

To id a turnicate there needs to be two distinct siphons per individual. you should also be able to notice a u shaped body structure from the twosiphons. One on top and one exiting to the side or top. Each indivdual should be definded seperate from the others. Ascidiacea are defined by the two siphon formation.

-Mike

Archived