Top Shelf Aquatics

Hammer coral in my stock Nano Cube 24DX?

Arklier

Right now the NC doesn't have any corals, just a lot of live rock, eight hermits, two shrimp (skunk cleaner and peppermint), one small turbo, a margarita, and a bunch of cerith and N. vibex snails. I have a Hydor Flo on the outflow, and run a Remora protein skimmer several nights a week. Back chambers have LR rubble and a single sponge that I clean and exchange with another one weekly. Water perameters are in line, but I do need to get a better test kit. The LFS has a really nice looking pink and white hammer for a pretty reasonable price. We're talking a softball sized clump, not a tiny frag for $40. Can I keep it in my NC?

I had one in my 24G, with no problems. Now its in my 62G, but that sounds pretty big, youre probably gonna want to get rid of it eventually, cuz you'll run out of space. And that hammer needs space. ALOT of space. Id recommend going with some thing smaller.

good luck, Mike

I have a pink hammer in my 24DX. It's doing great. Granted, haven't even had it a month. Figured if it got too big I'd upgrade it to my friend's 75.

One Eyed Bunny

I've got a hammer coral in our Nano Cube 12gal. (Standard) and it's actually dividing. Actually, both heads are dividing so we'll have four heads which I plan to propagate into another piece and possibly sell it or grow it out in an opposing side of the tank.

But, the point is, a DX will certainly do the job s'long as you can dose for calcium and such efficiently.

Right now the NC doesn't have any corals, just a lot of live rock, eight hermits, two shrimp (skunk cleaner and peppermint), one small turbo, a margarita, and a bunch of cerith and N. vibex snails. I have a Hydor Flo on the outflow, and run a Remora protein skimmer several nights a week. Back chambers have LR rubble and a single sponge that I clean and exchange with another one weekly. Water perameters are in line, but I do need to get a better test kit. The LFS has a really nice looking pink and white hammer for a pretty reasonable price. We're talking a softball sized clump, not a tiny frag for $40. Can I keep it in my NC?

If it's a branching hammer it will work great, because if it gets to big you just cut off a couple of heads and sell them as frags. Wall hammers are much harder to frag and so you might want to avoid them.

The hammers also typically mix well with frogspawn corals, but not much else.

An NC24 with several different varieties of hammer & frogspawn would be impressive.

I went back yesterday to buy the hammer, but that one was sold. So I got another smaller one with a couple of branches. I also got a purple mushroom rock as well. I also would like some zoos. Would other corals be OK as long as I keep them far enough away to avoid the hammer's sweeper tentacles?

firefishbrain

yes, you got the idea, they say the genral rule is 6" away from euphillyia (spelling?) corals... btw do you keep dart frogs? That's a pretty azure

Yes, I also have dart frogs. That's a picture of one of my female azureus when she tried to cram her butt into a bromeliad that was too small for her. Between the new reef tank, the dart frogs, the computer/video games, I have some expensive hobbies. The dart frogs do kind of pay for themselves though, since I can sell the offspring.

Yes, I also have dart frogs. That's a picture of one of my female azureus when she tried to cram her butt into a bromeliad that was too small for her. Between the new reef tank, the dart frogs, the computer/video games, I have some expensive hobbies. The dart frogs do kind of pay for themselves though, since I can sell the offspring.

PDFs are great, you should post some pics of your viv in the Makeshift Lounge forum.

Inquiring minds want to know about your setup & frogs.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...40entry747005

Archived