Cultivated Reef

Skimmate

okinano

Prolly a noob question, but shold my skimmate really be looking like this? This is after only 3 days. Am I over feeding or something? Seems really dark to me......

post-18671-1142339524_thumb.jpg

When a skimmer is working well it is supposed to be dark. So your skimmer is working really well. What are some of the details of your tank? It could have a high bio-load, over feeding or just a really good skimmer.

Its a 15 gallon tank. 2 in substrate and 2 in sand. approx 10 lbs LR, 2 skunks, 3 camels, 1 coral banded, 2 turbo snails, 2 red brittle stars, and 3-4 crabs (not sure what they are, always hiding in the LR). Currently has 1 clown (other is in QT). I feed them twice a day and run lights for 13-14 hours. Water params are good:

pH 8.2

NH3/NH4 0

NO2 0

NO3 2

temp 25.5 c

using a berlin air lift skimmer. I plan on picking up 5 more snails today (little alge problem). The skimmate didnt really have too bad of a smell, just thick and dark. Glad to see its working though ;)

Skimate should look like that....thats a good sign

BTW: get rid of the camel shrimp and the coral banded shrimp they arent ref safe...

eh? Whats not safe about them?

"The Rhynchocienetes uritai is generally peaceful with other tank inhabitants, but caution should be used when adding this shrimp to a reef tank. It is not considered to be reef safe, because it has a tendency to pick at colonial anemones, disc anemones, mushrooms, soft leather and other various types of polyped corals."

ignore the last post

eh? Whats not safe about them?

"The Rhynchocienetes uritai is generally peaceful with other tank inhabitants, but caution should be used when adding this shrimp to a reef tank. It is not considered to be reef safe, because it has a tendency to pick at colonial anemones, disc anemones, mushrooms, soft leather and other various types of polyped corals."

ignore the last post

caution should be used

your using a berlin airlift? im thinking if i should get one

Alot of people said they dont work well for them but you can see my results from a few days. It was a bit tricky to get it positioned right, and there was some collection in the tube, but overall, it skims well and is fairly inexpensive.

Archived