Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

what the diferent between ro/di drinking unit and ro/di fish unit?

RP Beesh

The only difference is that the drinking unit usually has a carbon filter at the end to remove any odd tastes remaining from the filtration process.

They are both the same. The only difference is you can drink the RO water and use the DI water for your tank. It should come with an additional spout for the DI water to come out of. Don't think that just because a fish store sells the unit it must be better than the ones sold at places like home depot or lowes. There are some on e-bay that you can buy for about half the cost of those sold in fish stores and they perform the same. What most fish stores do is attempt to sell you the unit with the DI (Deionization) in mind because that is what your tank needs for water changes. I found this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/USA-110GPD-RO-DI-REVER...1QQcmdZViewItem

and it works great! Both drinking water for us via the RO and water to replenish the tank via the DI.

Same thing- they both contain a TFC or CFA membrane for reverse osmosis. Both should have at least a carbon prefilter, and then the actual reverse osmosis membrane. Lastly there would be a DI chamber or for drinking units another carbon filter.

It's safe to drink the RO/DI unit water if it's an aquarium made product, and also safe to use the water from a drinking specific unit for your tank.

Keep in mind that the RO/DI water has no minerals or anything nutritious in it if you want to drink it... it's just pure water, you might want to add some mineral water to it or something to make it taste better.

To be honest the only difference you will notice is how much money you have left in your pocket. You can easily purchase a unit sold by a fish supply store and pay out the wazoo or you can look around at other places and try and find something comparable to what you feel is necessary as far a GPD (Gallons per Day) and purchase accordingly. You don't necessarily need to purchase one made by a company that sells it on a marine/reef website. You can easily go to:

http://www.airwaterice.com

http://www.purelyh2o.com

and ebay also has some you can purchase from.

There really isn't any "great" brand. Not that you would need one off the bat, but some people prefer to have them, and that is a TDS meter. It measures total dissolved solids in your water and allows you to measure the life of your filters. Go to the purely h20 website and read up on these and all the other items they have. The most you would need is the TDS meter along with your RO/DI system. Don't be fooled into having to purchase the permeate pumps and all that mess. You can also call purely h20 and ask them questions. It doesn't mean that you have to buy from them, just ask questions. There's a guy there named Bryan, he is a stand up guy and very helpful. I spoke to him about a product he carried and he actually told me that it would not be a good idea to buy that accessory because I was not going to need it. Not very many people in businesses today do such a thing. They would rather you buy it and spend your money with them than actually discourage you from buying something you don't need.

That should do the job, but my question would be why have 2 DI when 1 is sufficient. All this would mean is that you would have to change out 2 DI filters rather than 1. It's a good buy, but I would think about the dual DI. It's also at a good price.

I bought the 110 GPD from Filter Direct off of ebay after considerable research. I am very happy with the filter. Be sure to get a TDS meter. It will show you that your product is working and when to change the filters. I recomend purchasing one with a storage tank unless you are going to rig up a ATO or a float switch to another holding tank. For nano use, the three gallon storage tank system works great. I can pull three gallons at a minutes notice instead of waiting for it to trickle into a container. You can also put in the water dispensor on your sink and make your wife happy ;)

This is the unit I purchased: Filter Direct 110 GPD with storage tank and drinking water dispenser

Customer service was great, installation reasonably easy.

I bought the 110 GPD from Filter Direct off of ebay after considerable research. I am very happy with the filter. Be sure to get a TDS meter. It will show you that your product is working and when to change the filters. I recomend purchasing one with a storage tank unless you are going to rig up a ATO or a float switch to another holding tank. For nano use, the three gallon storage tank system works great. I can pull three gallons at a minutes notice instead of waiting for it to trickle into a container. You can also put in the water dispensor on your sink and make your wife happy ;)

This is the unit I purchased: Filter Direct 110 GPD with storage tank and drinking water dispenser

Customer service was great, installation reasonably easy.

i was looking at that too but the one with 2xdi have clear capsol on stage one two and three.

may be i can ask them to take one of the di filter out and give me one to filter and make the water tast good for use to drink.

The only container I would recommend being clear would be the first, (the pre-filter). That one turns yellow looking over time and should be changed about every 9 months or so. The TDS meter is the one that should really tell you whether or not it's time to change all the required filters. You could either get the wand looking thing or an in-line TDS. It's up to you. I don't know if they will satisfy your request, they may just point you to another model, it never hurts to ask though.

Freakshow is right. It's good to have the holding tank because it allows you access to 3 gallons of DI water off the bat if you need it or RO water when you feel like drinking some. It's always good to have one. Again, it's up to you.

since im thilnking about buying a ro/di unit. i guess i would need to know how it works. is there a website that would help me with this. i did a search on this forum and cant find any info .

It's pretty simple. Depending on the level of filtration, you can see several devices stating numerous stages from 1 to even up to 6. I do not know of a certain website that offers a detailed description, but once you get it you can actually see how the water travels from one stage to the next. The end result is either water from the RO faucet or if you choose to, you can even dispense it from the DI valve. The units have up to 3 locations where water ultimately comes out from, 1 RO faucet, 2 DI valve, and 3 waste water. The waste line is the one that goes into the drain attached to either the sink drain or like in my case the drain where your clothes washer drains the soapy water into.

I will try and post some pics tomorrow night when I get home from class.

Archived