Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Thin white worm-like creatures?

Sean Duclaux

Sean Duclaux

I have a 12G DX that has been setup going on 4 months or so. Everything is going well, at least I have not killed anything yet!

I just noticed these small white worm-like creatures that extend from my live rock and then withdraw. They seem to crawl over through the crevices and back again.

Could these little suckers cause any damage? They don't seem to and are actually kind of cool to watch?!

Thanks for the help!

Sean

I have the same worms in my pico. I'm pretty sure they are harmless but i was gonna post the same question. If anybody has any further information let us know.

neanderthalman

No positive ID for you. It is not, however, an aquarium pest that I've ever heard of. They're probably a detrivore of some kind.

No positive ID for you. It is not, however, an aquarium pest that I've ever heard of. They're probably a detrivore of some kind.

I did some research on these thin white worms. If yours are the same as mine they should have 2 tentacles. They are detrivores and are completly harmless. However, I read that their populations can grow out of control if the tank is over fed. Check this site out: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-05/rs/index.php

Scroll down to "worms w/ two tentacles"

Archived