ReefCleaners.org

Six Gallon New Setup

ezcompany

I had an idea of using my old reptile lamp (40W) to shine on my eclipse 6. img23948gx.jpg

am i wasting my time? tank is now 2 weeks old, LR is a week old.

Oh and also, i'm worried that the filter sponge i put will filter out the pods. i know it depends on what type of sponge, but its white......and reusable....(which i kinda doubt) should i scrap it and use it only if the water is especially dirty? or should i keep it and replace it regularly? pros? cons?

and lastly, if you see my little compartment on the bottom left of the picture, i placed a "ugly" piece of live rock. (from premium aquatics) i'm experimenting with it to see if i can cultivate pods. i placed it right next to the window so it gets plenty of sunlight. just a question, since the water is stagnant, is it important to have flow? will pods even reproduce in those conditions?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice looking tank. All the rock that I see is marshall island rock. You might have some tonga branch mixed in there, hard to tell by the pics. All in all it's a very nice tank.

alright guys and girls here's an update!

in case you didn't know, on saturday i purchased 5 nassarius snails, 2 blue legs, 1 clarkii, and 1 fireshrimp. (Jeff at Jeff's exotics said the bioload wasn't a problem)

ok, after 1 hour of accimilation, (spelling?) i added both dudes in. the problem was, i didn't test the lfs water for SG :angry:

The shrimp made its way to the rocks and hid instantly, the Clarkii went to the bottom and looked stressed. my SG was 1.26. so i left them in the dark, so they wouldn't panic too much. I came back and saw my snails eating the shrimp, and the Clarkii still stressing out.

I looked up this forum and noticed that most LFS have their salinity low on their fish tanks, upto 1.18 gasp.. so i added distilled water to bring it down to 1.23.

Anyways, Clarkii is eating now (thank God) but still scared as hell.

I also added a tonga branch premium piece that was too beautiful to resist. I had it bagged in water for the 20 minute drive back to my place, so the die off should be minimal to non-existent.

Here are the pics!

img24197zt.jpg

tank8nk.jpg

The Tonga is the orange rock in the middle.

Ok, does anyone think I should take out some LR for some swimming room? pros cons?

Help! the Tonga is losing its brilliant orange turning into green!!!

is it bleaching??? what do i do to preserve the orange? add calcium???

:o

Two things that I can’t help but to notice, one being that the clown fish you have I believe can grow up to 5 – 6 inches, way too big for that setup. The second relates to the maturity of your tank. I have to apologize in advance but I didn’t read every posting straight through although I believe that this a relatively new setup, less than a month. You really shouldn’t have any live stock at this point except maybe a clean up crew at most.

I hope this helps.

if the clarkii gets too big i'm gonna start a 15 g easy new tank and may my eclipse probably into a bangai cardinal tank :happy:

• 3 weeks later...

Currently, I'm just leaving my tank as is for it to "mature".

I think i'm seriously addicted, I'm alread looking into bigger and better. Mainly because the fact that I'm so ###ed at the lighting setup of the eclipse, and that Jeff at Jeff's exotics says my clarkii will be fine in my 6 gallon, which he is, but I'm sure he's cramped in there.

Anyways...my tank is around 4 months and 2 weeks old. I'm trying to find DTs for my featherduster, anyone know of a local LFS that carries it? because shipping that crap sure is expensive online. even MarineDepot charges a "flat" rate of 25 banging bucks. If the price of food is > the animal, then you have something wrong.

So to put things simply,

1.) what tank should i look into next?

currently eying the M-tanks, but worried it will be too narrow for me.

2.) DTs, which LFS? my zipcode = 90006

Thanks again everyone, and special thanks to shao-lin nano, cesar, neanderthal, noob (u know who u are), for helping me out so far!

randomrambler
if the clarkii gets too big i'm gonna start a 15 g easy new tank

By the time it gets too big, irreparable damages could have already taken place,

such as stunting. I'm new to marine aquariums, but I've been involved in freshwater

aquariums for a few years now, and I know that to be true from seeing experiences on

other forums. I would have to suggest either setting up a larger tank for it now (if it truly

grows to be 5-6 inches, I doubt a 15g will cut it), or returning it for store credit and getting

a more suitable fish for this tank. Some type of firefish or goby would be cool, maybe even

a shrimp/goby mix? I like the aquascape of your tank so far though, and I hope it keeps on

progressing nicely :)

oh no...:(

though i did see a 6 inch clarkii...he looked like a monster lol

anyways, i picked up Kent's phytoplankton in the meantime, adding 5 drops every 3 days to feed my featherduster. still trying to get a hold of DTs. so hard to find!!!

btw

my fire shrimp molted again, and i'm not sure but i think its missing a pair of front limbs. this is the 2nd time he's molted, (its been around 3 weeks since he molted i believe) so i added a few drops of iodine to help this process. i know i'm taking a risk by dosing without testing, but i still feel its the safer thing to do. i won't dose for another few weeks.

plus...i've asked this before but i still can't find a suitable retrofit for my eclipse 6.

i was thinking of this: retrofit

i couldn't find any on hellolights anymore.

• 2 weeks later...
ezcompany

I found out the best upgrade for my eclipse 6.

img25043co.jpg

40 watts of 50/50. i could've went 80 but i figured i didn't need it.

legs are adjustable so it fits the odd shaped tank nicely. might remove black frame on top soon, cuz the stupid black line in the middle blocks the lunar!

img25387cd.jpg

what do you guys think?

update:

i took out the black frame on top, and ditched the damn filter so i can get more light into the tank. so i only have one powerhead for filtration/whatever.

tomorrow i'm gonna see if my AC500 will fit!

• 2 weeks later...

**UPDATE**

Been having another algae problem.

Added Aquaclear 30 at the back with Phosguard, Chemipure, and Pureflo filterpad.

Current corals: Mushroom, Ricordia, Yuma, Zoos, GSP, and frogspawn :) its getting cramped in there!

i ditched my eclipse 6 gal after scratching the acrylic enough inside and out with LR and the magfloat...

also that acrylic holds in heat too well for my taste and you gotta watch the bottom of that tank for depresses in the plastic before it cracks...

you can do a search for my eclipse thread and see what happened to be before i switched to a 10gal and some 96w 50/50's

:huh:

Hello everyone, I'm new to the saltwater world. (freshwater wise I have a 75 gallon tank with an Asian Arowana back home)

Yesterday I bought a 6 gallon eclipse tank

What step should I take next?

Thank you all in advance and I look forward to having a great nano along with you guys!

There is a great article "My First Reef Aquarium" by Andrew Blumhagen where he describes how he set up a reef aquarium using 6 gallon Eclispe tank. You will find the answers to most of your questions there.

The URL is http://www.aquarticles.com

• 3 weeks later...

guys and girls, almost lost my eclipse today...

i put a foam filter in the hob AC30, and apparently it overflowed while i was at work. lost half the tanks water and powerhead and pumps were running dry for who knows how many hours...but they still work...

mixing salt water now...

• 2 weeks later...

continuing on my self journal for my first ever saltwater tank.

shots taken today

img26664qp.jpg

img26645tb.jpg

img26742ag.jpg

img26738la.jpg

img26689ni.jpg

thanks to a lot of you out there for your beautiful corals.

btw, the sun-coral was removed after the pictures were taken. it didn't make it.

Hey man! Nice tank. Ummm, perhaps I missed something, but is the clarkii still in the tank? Really nice set-up thou, the corals look outstanding under the light!

ah, the clarkii is in the 24 gallon now, i think he's a lot happier there :)

i need REEF ROIDS!!!!!!!!!!

Archived