Cultivated Reef

JBJ lights?

Frank B

What do you guys think of the JBJ Formosa 2 x 24 watt PC strip light with one 10,000K and one actinic? I was thinking of putting this fixture on a 10 gallon tank which will house various Zooanthids, Ricordea, Mushshrooms, GSP, Xenia sp., a chili coral, a brian, a Candy frag, and a hammer frag. Would these species do well under this type of lighting or should I go to someting else?

Thanks,

Frank

I recently bought a 2 x 36 jbj setup with the stands. It is 19" and will fit a standard 10 gallon. The price difference was $15 if I remember correctly. The versitality is worth the extra dough.

I ordered from reef encounter and was very pleased with their customer service. You can get a link to their site from the jbj web site at www.jbjlighting.com

What model did you buy? I can't find anyone that has a JBJ 2x36 watt light that is 19" long. The only ones that I can find are 23" long.

Thanks,

Frank

The JBJ's look nice but aren't very friendly and the glare from the light at below tank level is blinding. I'd go with a full hood and retro kit for AHsupply before the Formosa. I own the 2X65 JBJ for my 29 gallon. It works but the full hood I think is better and makes the tank easier to get at.

Frank B

I got the jbj formosa desktop model

it is 2 x 36 and is 19".... there was a type error on the reef encounter website. Pacific reef also carries this model. Again, take a look at the jbj website under dealers. Reef encounter is second on the list.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Since I'm just a college student I'm still trying to come up with the funds for everything I need to get my tank going. Actually all I need is the lighting and the live rock. Anyway, can some of you guys/girls share some of your experiences with any of the JBJ lighting systems, preferably the "desktop formosa" line?

Thanks again,

Frank

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Originally posted by SoS

I got my JBJ's from reef encounter.  I live down the road from them so shipping was free(i drove there;) ).  They have very good JBJ prices.

Yep. Thats where I got mine also!

They do have great price on JBJ.

• 2 weeks later...

My experience with JBJ. After 3 months one fan stopped working, after 6 months both fans stopped working. After one year one ballast burned up. I gutted it and got the other ballast out and so far it still works (knock on wood).

Archived