Top Shelf Aquatics

55 gal.

Shadoe

Hi guys.

I recently setup a 55 gal. I only have 10 lbs of LR. I'm planning on getting 10 lbs, about every other week. A protein skimmer is planned to be added within a couple of days. The LFS said that I could add the LR a little at a time, just do stock fast. As for the protein skimmer, it can be added up to a month after starting the tank. The tank has been running A-Ok for one week. (It is already cycled.) I have one Electric Blue Damsel. I've heard these aren't the best fish because they're aggressive, I like them. :happy: I was needing to know, what else would go good w/ the "EB" Damsel? I also need to know what kind (and how many) of a clean up crew would go good in a 55g.?

Shadoe post-18859-1142239283_thumb.jpg

adding LR every other week would work but what about the new LR cycling? or a small "cycle" due to die off. Get anywhere from 1.5-2lb/gal. Get all LR before stocking w/ corals and fish

Damsels are good for assisting the cycle but will nip at any new additions. You could go with another damsel. I used 2 damsels for my cycle and, it took 2-3 days, i just caught them with a net and took to LFS.

One Eyed Bunny

Do not cycle a tank with damsels. That's cruel to the fish because you're purposefully placing it in a high-stress environment.

Do not cycle a tank with damsels. That's cruel to the fish because you're purposefully placing it in a high-stress environment.

Sorry Bunny. :happy:

There was no 'high-stress' environment. I haved used cured live rock. All levels have been at zero since I added the LR, and since the Damsel.

The only thing I'm worried about is finding tank companions. I bought the fish, I feel it's my responsibility to keep him, instead of giving him back to the LFS.

Sorry, again.

Shadoe ;)

Archived