Pod Your Reef

Yellow Polyps

travisurfer

Corbet_Jackson50

I dont even target feed the colony i have and they grow like wild fire, but then i have heard people trying everything and not being able to keep them. I think they are kinda like xenia i think they perfer nutrient rich water (ie little or no skimming)

Sea_Of_Treachery

nope, yellow polyps just need light, but for some reason, mine never live too long lol, what a sucky reefer i am.

travisurfer

haha, thanks clarkii. i figured these would be a good coral to start with b/c of price and the fact that my lfs is about 5 min away from my house :D . maybe theyll have something else by the time i set my tank up though.

btw, hope you have better luck with your new aquapod.

nope, yellow polyps just need light, but for some reason, mine never live too long lol, what a sucky reefer i am.

Hpw often have you tried, clarkii? My first colony, which I paid a pretty penny for, dwindled to nothing over a month's time. A few months later I was give a frag with 5 polyps on it and they immediately took off growing! Three years later, they're in all my tanks and still growing.

Quoted from LiveAquaria:

"They contain the symbiotic algae zooxanthellae which provide some of their nutritional requirements. They must also have additional feedings of micro-plankton or brine shrimp given to each individual of the colony."

Bizarre. I've never seen anything saying that zoas need to be individually fed - I don't think they're even capable of digesting brine. IME zoas do just fine living on dissolved nutrients and light - so fine, before you know it they're growing over everything else! :)

methinks yellow polyps aren't zoas. I'm thinking that other kind that starts with a "P" that I just can't remember right now. Oh..palythoas or somesuch name. Different species, can actually sting things, etc etc

I don't target feed my polyps. They grab whatever they can when I feed my tank. They love to grab onto mysis and I love watching them retrack when they feed. I've had mine for about 2 months and the number of polyps on my rock have doubled. I've been told that they are weeds of the reef, so I'm keeping and eye on them in cast they take over.

methinks yellow polyps aren't zoas. I'm thinking that other kind that starts with a "P" that I just can't remember right now. Oh..palythoas or somesuch name. Different species, can actually sting things, etc etc

Yellow polyps are an unidentified species. Palythoa grow as an encrusting mat.

They happen to love very strong water flow, I have placed mine right next to the output of my 802 power heads and they went from 6-8 polyps to about 45 on each rock - two colonies on each side of my tank. The only thing I could warn about is they are very agressive. They sting other polyps and were doing a number on my cabbage coral. I had to move them away from everything else in the tank.

cobraz

Archived